Chapter 3

Katniss (district 2)

A breeze comes in my window. After my dream I feel unsafe. My sister Primrose was Dieing in a bog. My heart starts to calm down. I'm from 2! Get myself together. We are so rich! My bed is yellow and Blue. The rainbow colors warm the place up. A soft pillow falls off my bed. I realize it's my green one. Green is my favorite color.

“Prim." I mumble.

I walk past Prim's room. Since the reaping is at 7:00 I pull on a white dress my mother insisted I wear. The dress is very pretty. Diamonds sparkle from a necklace. A diamond tiara comes with it. Tall silk socks rise up to my knees. The shoes are soft and flexible.

“Wonderful." My mom says.

Prim is wearing a Red dress. Her dress only goes to her ankles. She gets a small jacket too. My mom ties a Ribbon in her hair. I braid back my hair while Prim leaves it loose. Mom is wearing a long Blue dress. Her dress is the latest style. Prim looks longingly at my old reaping dress. It was simple. No necklaces or tiaras. It was green. The shoes were comfy and fit perfectly.

“Prim. Let's try another dress." Mom says.

I stare at her pleading.

“Okay. You too Katniss."

I run to my room and pull out options. A blue dress with purple headbands and tall socks, A short yellow dress. I soon find a long green dress that goes to my ankles. It is kinda simple. The socks go halfway to my knees. The shoes are flat. Perfect.

Prim has on a light blue dress. The bottom is long and has ruffles. A beautiful ribbon is tied in her hair.

“Cool." I say.

*******************************

I stand in line for the blood test. I am eager to volunteer. Once the needle is inserted in my arm I walk to my spot. The morning is freezing. I do not know why. It is well into the day. Not many people are here yet. I spot Blueberry or blue for short. Blue is my friend. She is 17. I am only 16.

“Hey Blue!" I call.

“Yeah." She says.

“Where is everyone?"

“I found out the time was 8:00!" Blue says.

“Oops." I say.

“Oh, don't worry. Many family's were not told. Also some people want to be early." Blue says.

“Okay. Great."

I see our escort Lindsey Paisl walk around muttering to her self and wrapping a nice warm coat around her. Her usual pink hair was yellow. The victors were seated under a tent. I saw that the female tribute's mentor had long black hair. Then it started raining. Quickly everyone was rushed to the square.

“Okay. boys  First. Peeta Melark." Lindsey said in a hurry.

The boy slowly walked up.

“Volunteers?" Lindsey asked.

No answer.

“Kayla Hola."

A thin girl ran up.

“Volunteers?"

“I volunteer!" I yell. “I'm Katniss Everdeen."

“Ladies and gentlemen here are your 74th annual hunger games tributes!"

Everybody ran back to their homes and I was rushed into a building. I saw my mom and Prim run back to the house. Probably no one would say bye. Once in the room I got water out of my dress. It was ruined. I found a towel and wrapped some of my dress up in it. The soft couches did not seem like they could stand water. My thoughts drifted to the games. I could use a bow. I have a perfect shot. It would be hard to lose. I'm not sure who that Peeta is but, I will find out. Soon I get on the dry train.