Chapter 2

Clove (district 11)

I wake up. Morning light filters in through my window. I grab a T-shirt and jeans and put them on. I grab my jacket by the door and race to find food. The chilly air whips around. I get to the meadow and find my knives. I Climb a tree and wait. Soon a rabbit hops along. I kill it with one knife. I pick it up. A snake comes from behind the rocks. I kill it too. Snake meat is not that good but, it's skin is great for selling. The rabbit's fur makes great coats. I wish I could get a bear. Their fur is the best. I Climb my tree and wait for more.

*******************************

I yawn and find myself in a tree. Just have been up really early and fell asleep. I walk back to my house. We live near the fields. At home I get the skin off the snake and fur off the rabbit. My mom cooks the rabbit and Rose (my younger sister) adds the rabbit pelt to a coat. I walk to the trading place. The Trade as we call it.

“Snake pelt again?" Desra calls.

“Yep." I say.

“Trade ya 5 apples and 12 biscuits." Desra says.

“Nah. I'm going to see what Mr. Parker will trade." I say.

“Oh, him. His butter!" Desra says.

“Clove!" Mr. Parker calls. “Four apples, 1 stick of butter, A small jar of honey, salt, 4 biscuits and 6 rolls."

“Deal." I say. I run back home. Rose finished the coat. My rabbit stew from yesterday was heated up. I took   the coat and the stew and raced back to The Trade.

“Ill take the coat for 17 Types of fruit." Desra said.

“17 loaves of chestnut bread, 15 loaves of white bread and 12 loaves of normal bread. For the coat." Mary Lou says.

“Fried chicken and fruit." Henry Hatsi said.

“For the stew?" I asked.

“Yeah." Henry replied.

“Okay. And Mary." I said.

I traded Mary and Henry and went back home.

“Clove. Reaping's at 2:00!" Mom calls.

My joyfulness fades away. We eat.

“Get ready." Mom says.

“Do we wear good clothes?" Rose asks.

“Yes." Mom answers.

I go to my room and pull on a green dress. With some cloth my mom sewed it. We dyed lace green and attached it to the dress. A green ribbon was tied around the waist. The dress was long. I added green socks and fancy green shoes. My mom put a fake green flower in my hair. Rose was wearing a simple short blue and red dress. Unable to match she had a red dress and red socks with a blue beaded ribbon in her hair. Her shoes were dyed blue.

“Ready?" I asked Rose.

“Yeah." She says.

“Let's go." I say. We walk to the square and take the blood test. Then I stand with the 16 year olds and Rose stands with the 13 year olds. Melinda Hein (our escort) appears.

“We now pick out girl tribute."

Melinda stirs the bowl she carefully picks a slip.

“Clove Sky."

My heart drops onto the ground. My feet are stuck on the ground. I take a shaky step towards the stage. My feet trying to get me to run away. Finally on get yo the stage.

“Cato Fire!" Melinda calls.

The boy from the woods. I saw him sneak out once. Almost died.

“Ladies and gentlemen here are your 74th annual hunger games tributes!"

I get shoved into a room with plush couches. My room is shades of blue and green. I plunk down on a blue one and hold my head. The door squeaks.

“Clove, you can win." My mom says.

“I know." I say.

“Maybe, you could team up with that Cato." She says.

“Maybe." I whisper.

Then we sit in silence. She leaves and Rose comes in crying.

“Win." She begged. “I don't want you to end up like Cayla."

Cayla was my sister. She died in the hunger games. Rose continues to cry really hard.

“It's Okay." I whisper. Then peacekeepers take her away. I sit and then I get on the train.