The Taxi Ride

John hailed a taxi as Sherlock flipped through the notes.

“See,” Sherlock said, referring to one note, as he got in the car. “I thought so.”

‘Sherlock’s good. Maybe he’ll find me.’

“She’s been keeping in contact with Mycroft. About me. Hmm.”

“Baker Street,” John said to the driver. “So what does that mean?”

Sherlock paused. “I have no idea.” This case was very complicated. Was this relevant? Or a ‘red-herring’? He sighed and leant back, closing his eyes. What clue did he have? Lipstick. Red. Was the red significant? Did it mean Maria wore red? Or was it a deeper symbolisation of something else, blood perhaps? Hmm. Through his mind he went through everything that had happened since Mycroft had alerted him to Maria. He was so absorbed in his thoughts, he didn’t even notice that the taxi was going the wrong way. John didn’t notice either – not from lack of attention, he just wasn’t used to this area of London, and didn’t know any better. It wasn’t until the taxi stopped that they realised something was wrong.

“Ah, this isn’t our street.” John said.

Sherlock’s eyes opened. “Obviously John. But I think our driver knows that.”

The driver in question was silent as he got out of the car and opened the door for them. Sherlock tilted his head. “Who do you work for?”

The driver didn’t respond. Sherlock sighed and got out of the car.

“Are you mad?” John said. “You don’t know-”

“Staying in the car isn’t going to get any answers either John,” Sherlock interrupted. “Coming?”

John sighed and got out too. “Fine. What now?”

“It’s good to see you,” drawled a voice from the apartment they had parked in front of.

They both turned, in sync, to the speaker.

“Moriarty,” Sherlock said. “What a surprise.”