Rules

“Did I get it?” Sherlock asked, slightly out of breath.

“Oh yes,” the voice drawled. “Good boy.”

“Do I get a question?”

“Oh yes. Actually, take two. On the house.”

Sherlock paused. Two questions. Make them count.

“Why?”

“Why what? Please Sherlock, I’m not going to fall for any tricks.”

“Why me?”

“Because you’re fun.”

“Moriarty and Mycroft were targeted too.” It wasn’t a question.

“Oh, please. Mycroft may be smarter than you, but he has no time for games. And Moriarty? Seriously? No, no, just you Sherlock. You have the time, and the need. The desire to complete my little game– to win.”

“The game. You said that before. What is the…” He paused. “What are the rules?”

She laughed. “Good boy. You’re learning. Hmm, the rules. You win a round, you get a question. You win the game, you get a prize. And, well…if you lose…you die.”

“Ah,” Sherlock said. “That’s boring, isn’t it?”

“Oh yes, but I can’t stand stupid people.”

“And am I a stupid person?”

“Oh, not yet Sherlock. Right now, you’re perfect. Let’s see how far you get.”

The phone disconnected again, and Sherlock let his hand fall to his side as he thought things over.

“Who was that?” Lestrade asked.

“Oh, nobody.” Sherlock said distractedly.

“Nobody? Well it sounded like somebody to me!” Lestrade said angrily. “Listen, if you’re in contact with this ‘Maria’ I could have you arrested for-”

“Me? Arrested? But then who’d solve crimes? Come on John, Mrs Hudson’s waiting.”

With that he departed. John shot Lestrade an apologetic look before following Sherlock home.