Mistakes

Anna was placing a blanket over someone as Sherlock and John arrived.

She blinked at them. “May I help you?” she asked calmly.

“Are you Maria?” Sherlock asked, cutting straight to the point.

She froze, blinked and frowned at him. “Am I…No! Of course not!”

“Really?” Sherlock replied. “Rather suspicious, you finding not one, but two clues.”

“That mirror was an accident! And the second one? I didn’t even realise I’d found a second one!”

Sherlock frowned, and opened his mouth to reply when his phone went off. Sherlock looked at it.

“Hello?” he asked as he answered it.

“Oh, so close,” Maria purred. “So, so very close.”

“I-”

“Obviously, she’s not me.”

“How do I know that she’s not one of you?”

There was a scoff. “Please. Look at her. I would never…Oh. Good boy. Trying to steal a prize. No. She’s made too many mistakes for her to be me. Think about it. If I wanted them to find the note, I would’ve suggested to knock it over to someone else. Someone important maybe? Maybe, one of Mycroft’s agents?”

Sherlock frowned. “Mycroft?”

Anna’s eyes widened slightly in recognition.

“Hmm. Yep. Now, you go along now, dear Sherlock. I have things to do.” She hung up.

Sherlock paused, thinking things through. Anna being an agent for Mycroft…made sense. Unfortunately, it left him with nothing. He tilted his head at her.

“Who told you to knock over the mirror?”

She frowned. “No one.”

“No hints? Nothing?”

She sighed and fished something out of her pocket. Another note.

There’s a message in the mirror, it taunted. Come and find my secret.

Sherlock frowned. Another note, but this one wasn’t for him. How many other notes had been sent, he wondered. How many other players were there in the game?