Chapter 14

~Flashback~

You ran around the front yard of your small home. You were playing with your neighbor, Jon. You were five and was seven

"Can't catch me." The older boy yelled.

You ran as fast as you could and finally caught up to him, tackling him to the ground.

"Tag, you're it!" You cheered, running away from the boy.

"(Y/n)! Kids! Come to the table." Your mom yelled from the little outdoor table the adults were seated at. She was seated next to Jons mom, Amanda, and your dad. Across from them was the other kids parents. You ran up to the table with Jon behind you. Your dad placed you on his lap while your mom went to get something from inside. Jon took a seat next to his mom and watched your mom walk back out with a birthday cake. It was Winnie the Pooh themed and it had a number five candle on top.

"Alright birthday girl." Your mom grinned. She took out a pack of matches and lit the candle. She placed the cake infront of you and sat back in her seat. "1...2....3"

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear (y/n), Happy Birthday to you." They all sang.

You inhaled and blew out the candle while everyone clapped and cheered. You smiled brightly at everyone as your mom cut the cake into slide for everyone to eat. You got the first slice and immediately dug in. After you were done eating you ran back to play with Jon. You played a few rounds of tag and ended with hide n' seek. The sun began to set, families began to leave. Jon left a little before it got dark and your dad began to clean up. You ran inside with your mom. She gave you your pajamas and you changed into them. She tucked you in and kissed you goodnight, not too long after, your dad did the same. You began to doze off into a warm slumber.

"Really Angel? Drinking?" You could hear your mom yell. "You always drink! Then you start getting all pissed off!" She added.

"You're so damn controlling Emily! I can never do shit!" He yelled back, only louder. "You know, all you do is sit on your ass while I go off and work my ass off to support the fucking family!"

"I do nothing?! I put dinner on the table for when you get home, i clean the house, i take care of my daughter!" She shouted.

"Oh so she's only your daughter now?" He sounded so angry.

"You're never around to take care of her! You're always drinking! Only today because I didn't let you! But clearly you never listen!"

"Fuck off!" You heard him grab the keys and slam the front door. You were too young to really know what was happening. All you knew was that they had a fight, but nothing different. This happened almost on a daily basis.

You awoke in the morning and got out of bed. You walked over to the living to see your dad laying on the sofa with a beer bottle. You went up to hug him but got pushed away. He was drunk. Like always. You went to your mom's room and saw her barely waking up. Her eyes were swollen from crying all night. You could hear her through the thin walls. Her sobs echoed through the house. You frowned a bit and walked back to living room and sat on the other couch. You grabbed the remote that was on the coffee table and put on Spongebob.

"Oh, you're back." Your mom mumbled.

"Am I not suppose to be here? I do live here after all." He hissed.

"I'm not saying tha-"

"Yes you fucking are." He interrupted, getting up from the couch.

"Please watch your mouth, (y/n) is in the roo-"

"No! Fuck you!" He yelled. You put the volume on the tv louder to drown them out, you hated when they fought. That's when your father turned around and yanked the remote out of your hand, ripping you off your chair. He turned of the tv and slammed the remote on the coffee table.

"Please stop." Your mom's voice cracked, tears streaming down her face.

"No! I'm tired of you!" He shouted making his way to the bedroom. Your mom rushed to you and picked you up. She hugged you tightly, you could feel her tears stain your shirt.

"What's happening mommy?" You asked, quietly.

"Nothing, it's okay. Don't worry." She forced a smiled.

You knew exactly what was happening. Jon had told you how his parents would fight like this and now he lives with his mom and sees his dad on the weekends. He called it a divorce, it scared you. You didn't want your mom and dad to separate.

"I'm done!" Your father yelled, walking back to the living room with a suitcase.

"Angel, please-"

"No! All you do is complain." He shouted, angrier. "Why do you think I've been screwing another woman the entire time!" He chuckled.

"You-." Your mom broke down at his words.

"Oh shut up! I want a divorce." He stated, coldly.

~timeskip~

You woke up on a fresh Sunday morning. You walked to the living room where you saw your mom. She put on a fake grin and hugged you. You knew this act was all a lie, you could hear her breaking down at night. Sometimes you would walk home from school and when you walk near the front door you could hear her sobbing. When your dad left, it broke her. You hated seeing her in this state. It had already been 2 years since he left.

The kids would make fun of you at you at school. They would call your dad a drunk and make jokes about you having one parent. Jon would usually swoop in to save you but he moved. His mom took him to another state, far away. You didn't really have friends anymore. You would isolate yourself all the time.

You walked to the Kitchen and began to sing 'Just The Way You Are'. You walked out of the Kitchen, still singing, and sat next to your mom. Her face lit up.

"You sing so pretty (y/n)!" She cheered with a huge grin. You giggled in response. Seeing her happy made you happy. You began singing more when you were home and you even joined choir. She came to every concert.

That day she dressed you up in a nice dress and put you in the car. She was wearing a plain red dress. You drove to the court house for custody battle. There you saw your dad with his new girlfriend who looked half his age. He walked up to you, completely ignoring your mother, and pulled you into an embrace. You didn't hug back, part of you as angry at him for putting your mom through this.

After 3 long hours of court, they gave their verdict. Your mom won full custody of you. You saw your mom hug her attorney and turn to you with the biggest grin in the world. Your father looked down at his feet. He looked at you with sorrow. Your mom grabbed your hand and walked with you outside to the car. You were happy you didn't have to be with your father anymore, but you missed him a little bit. He is your dad, he use to read you bedtime stories and take you to the park. But that didn't matter, clearly you don't matter. When you guys walked out the court, him and his girlfriend looked happy, he didn't even want you. He just wanted to take you to get back at your mom.

"Let's go get ice cream?" She smiled, snapping you out of your thoughts.

"Yeah!" You cheered.

~End Flashback~

You were snapped out of your trance by pounding on the door. You rushed down to the door. You unlocked it and opened it to reveal a smiley Gerard.

Oh shit.

"You ready?" He grinned. You were still in pajamas, you forgot.

"Oh, i forgot. Let me go get changed, then we'll go?" You raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, that's fine." He said, walking in. He sat down on the couch while you rushed upstairs to change.