Different Districts

Rue (District 1)

I sit up in my bed. Hopefully I don't get reaped. I'm a career but, I'm still only 12. My brother Oak is 16. He is thinking about volunteering.

“Morning Rue." Oak says.

“Morning." I say. I yawn.

“Come on sleepy head. Reaping is at nine." Oak says.

I pull on my black jacket. Then I put on normal training clothes. I go sit down at the table and eat.

“We will go. to training today." Oak tells me.

After breakfast me and Oak run to training. Violet is there.

“Hi." She says.

“Hello. You want to go?" I ask talking about the reaping.

“Yeah. Everyone does." Violet says.

“I mean today." I say.

“Oh, No. Not this year." She says.

I walk to the slingshot station. I'm good with those. I shoot a few and move on to the archery station. I am good at Archery but, not the best. Later the bell rings at 8:30. I run back to the house. I put on a black dress and shorts. I feel sad and take off the black outfit and put on a yellow one. I like it better. My mom puts a yellow headband in my hair. A Rue flower is on it.

“Shine. My daughter." She says.

I walk down the street soon covered in people. Violet, (who is 13) is wearing the same dress as last year. A simple Violet dress with and ribbon belt. Her shoes are soft Violet slippers. Her long black hair is tied in a braid with a Violet ribbon.

“You look nice." Violet says. I look down at my yellow shoes. Fancy but, not very. My dress was simple. Anyone in 11 or 12 could make it out of yellow cloth. My family is not the richest. I get the blood test and stand in the 12 section (The closest to the front). I see Violet standing behind me. Mary Abor (Our escort) comes up on stage.

“Hello district 1! Now to pick out tributes! Girls First!"

Why she is so happy at every sentence is Crazy.

“Rue Tree!" Mary calls.

I walk up. I have a feeling no one will volunteer.

“Volunteers?"

Nothing.

“Now for the boys! Oak Tree! Any volunteers?"

“I volunteer!" Someone shouts. Oak looks relieved. We won't have to be in the same games. The boy volunteers walked up.

“I'm Thresh Thorn."

“Our tributes from district one for the 74th hunger games!"

**********************************************************

My mom comes in the room and sits on the plush pink couch. I'm sitting in the corner on a blue chair. My mother Crys for a bit then comes and sits next to me on the yellow chair.

“Rue. Your not ready." She says.

I nod staring at a Green carpet square.

“You must try. Your good weapon is a bow. You must try."

“Times up!" A peacekeeper yells.

“One more minute!" I say.

The peacekeepers drag my mom out. Oak comes in and looks at the room. I look up and stare at the room too. Many couches and chairs line the room.

“I wish life was easy." Oak said.

I wipe a tear from my eye.

“You will win Rue." Oak. says.

After that we sit in silence.

“Times up." The peacekeepers say.

I flatten my dress and move into a comfy Violet couch. I pick up a yellow pillow and hurl it at the wall. The dark corner by the door has a yellow, violet and brown couch. I sit down on it. Violet comes in. She sits down on a Violet chair. Her black hair loose around her shoulders.

“Your in district one." Violet says. I nod.

“Your train awaits." A peacekeeper says. I follow the peacekeeper out the door and onto the train platform. I see my mom and Oak waving me goodbye. A tear falls down my check. This may be the  last time I see them. No! I think. I will not die. Then I am in the train.