29- Stay

'We had a protocol at the prison.' She smiled up at him, making Daryl groan.

'And that was?' 'Whenever we took in new people, we asked them three questions.'

'What were they?' She asked.

Daryl sighed deeply and asked, 'How many walkers have you killed?'

Her brow crinkled, like she was thinking real hard about it. 'Not many. I had...people looking out for me.' She smiled as she finished speaking.

Good for you, Daryl thought sarcastically. 'How many people have you killed?' Daryl shifted his weight onto his other foot and kicked the dirt in front of him. He watched as her expression visibly changed to discomfort. 'I, uh, one.'

Daryl cocked his head at her. He looked around at the tiny campsite. Beth hung around, not sure what to do with herself. She caught Daryl's eye and they stared at each other for a few seconds before she looked away.

'Why?' Daryl asked Robin, still gazing at Beth.

Robin's face dropped as she thought of the one man she had to kill, and why she had to. She knew it wouldn't be good to lie to this man, but she didn't want to share one of her darkest secrets. She glanced up, but Adam caught her eye in the background. He smiled darkly at her, and she quickly looked down again. She only knew what would happen later that night, but she was so numb to it by now.

But Robin plastered her mask on once again as she answered Daryl, 'He was a threat to my brother's survival.' Daryl just nodded, and Robin silently thanked her accustomed mask for protecting her secrets yet again.

'I'm sorry about that.' He said quietly. Robin's head shot up. When was the last time a man showed sympathy towards her? Surely he had some ulterior motive. Surely he would come to her like Adam and Jeremiah before him. She watched Daryl walk away and into the woods. She watched how Beth looked at his back with longing in her eyes. Robin briefly thought that maybe Daryl took payment from her too. She couldn't let that happen. She couldn't let Beth take her place, if it meant that she'd be cast out. If Daryl were to take her in, she would have to offer herself willingly. And that was that, she decided. Maybe it would be easier if she gave in first.

--

**present moment**

'How long do you think this is all gonna last?' Beth asked as she stared up at the ceiling.

'What?' Daryl asked, also staring up at the ceiling.

'The farm. How long before we have to leave again?'

'I don't know.' Daryl said. Beth turned and lay on her side, facing Daryl.

'I miss them too.' She said softly. She watched Daryl turn and face her as well. There was an obvious amount of space between them on the bed, but neither of them minded.

'Who?' 'Rick. Carl...My daddy.' She spoke in a whisper. Daryl closed his eyes.

'I failed them.'

'No, Daryl never.' Beth meant it.

'It's my fault...If I hadn't stop lookin' for that idiot governor then...then your dad would still be alive.'

Beth drew in a sharp take of breath. How could he blame himself for this?

'Daryl, don't you ever think that. No one blames you.'

Daryl looked at her sincerely, 'You're too good to me, Beth. Why?'

Because I'm in love with you, Beth thought. She so badly wanted to air her thoughts but she was frightened of rejection -like she was rejected by him before. She was frightened to her core that if she said how she felt then Daryl would get up and leave, permanently. What if her words drove him away into the woods, where he would get his freedom? She wouldn't be able to live knowing that he's out there, while she's stuck here.