13- Moments

Robin sat with her knees pulled up to her chest and her arms wrapped around them. She took a walk in the woods nearby and wound up in a peaceful section. The tree branches hung low which gave a misty effect to the environment. Robin felt at peace and breathed in the fresh air. She spied the pistol that lay next to her and smiled. Daryl all but shoved it in her hand when Robin refused to let him come with. He made her promise to fire if she was in danger and Daryl would be there instantly. Robin stretched out her legs and lay down on the slightly wet earth. Her hand gently rubbed over the rough stitches on her forehead. Tara had done a horrible job but Robin was grateful, even if it meant she would end up with an ugly scar.

“Ya would’ve been dead if I was a geek.” A gruff voice interrupted her thoughts.

Robin propped herself up and smirked at him. “I did hear ya, I just chose to ignore it in hopes you would go away.” She said sarcastically.

Daryl snorted and walked over to Robin. He slid his crossbow off his shoulder and sat down next to her, his one leg stretched out. Robin shuffled a bit to the side and allowed her head to rest in his lap.

“How are things with you and Beth?” Robin asked softly.

“She’s ignoring me but I expected that, she’s still a kid.” Daryl sighed. “She’ll come around soon though.”

“She seemed as eager as ever to go out lookin’ for ya group today.” Robin commented.

“She just wants to leave, ya hear? Wants to go back to normality, back to her sister and Lil’ AssKicker.” Daryl explained on. “Can’t blame her though.”

“Who’s Lil’ AssKicker?” Robin smiled.

“Baby Judith,” Daryl chuckled. “Is’ my name for the girl.”

Robin’s eyes went wide and her head snapped up. “Beth has a baby girl?”

“Nah, nah…” Daryl thought for a moment. “Well yeah, after Judith’s mom died in labour Beth kind of became her mother. She’s wonderful with kids, see.”

Robin relaxed and her head sank back in Daryl’s lap. “I’ve dreamt what it must be like to have a little girl to call mine.” She said softly.

Sympathy filled Daryl’s usually cold heart and he twisted a lock of her hair around his finger.

“Well just wait till you meet Lil’ AssKicker.” Daryl’s face lightened as he thought of the sweet baby girl. His face dropped as he wondered about her safety. Beth had mentioned her trying to find the children. Was Judith one of them? Daryl tensed up and Robin noticed his change of mood immediately.

“Why do ya always do that?” she asked innocently.

“Do what?” Daryl scratched his chin.

“Be alright one second, then all grumpy the next.”

“What the hell you talkin’ ‘bout, you-” Daryl cut himself off. He remembered just in time that he hurt her with his words and actions before, and it ended with Robin nearly bleeding out in the car. And for some strange reason, he actually cared about what she thought of it. Daryl didn’t know why, but he cared about Robin in a way he’s never before. Robin brought light into his bleak life. She gave him another reason to wake up in the morning. He looked down at her now and she wore a smug expression.

“No need to rub it in, I’m trying my best here.” He teased and covered her face with his rough hand. She giggled and slapped it away. There was a moment of silence as she stared into his deadly green eyes.

“You’re a real mystery, you know that.” She spoke quietly while staring at his eyes then his lips. Daryl leaned down and planted a firm kiss on her soft lips. His fingers laced through her curly hair and she moaned a little. Daryl pulled back, his eyes excited.