7- Gratitude

It was their first day of safety and solitude in several months. Rick and Daryl spotted the prison while scouting across train tracks. That day the group managed to clear out the courtyard thanks to Rick's skillful leadership. The group sat in a circle and ate dinner. Daryl stood a distance away from everyone, eating alone. Rick had scouted the fence for the third time as he checked for any weak spots. Daryl watched in the distance as the group made small talk. He knew they all had Rick to thank for this gold mine. Shane would never have found them something like this and Daryl was glad the bastard was gone. It finally gave Rick the upper hand to become the leader he was supposed to be. After a moment with Carol and jokes of 'screwing around', Daryl heard a soft voice singing a lovely tune. Him and Carol both moved closer to find the sweet voice belonged to Beth. She sang "The Parting Glass" and it was a sweet melody, even sweeter now that Beth was singing it. Half way through the song her sister, Maggie, joined in. It was a beautiful song. Ever since that night, him and Beth became close friends. Daryl thought back to the fateful day the Governor showed up with a tank at the prison. He remembered handing Beth a gun, and he was filled with sorrow when he saw her tearfully shooting through the fence after the Governors blade sliced into Hershel's neck. He had to move on and help take out the Governor's army, but Beth's safety was on his mind. On the way to the bus Beth stumbled into him. She tried to squirm out of his grasp, saying something about finding Judith and the children, but Daryl never let go. Instead he dragged her to his car when he saw the bus had driven away.
"I think Rick and Carl are dead." Beth's voice snapped Daryl out of his thoughts.
"Aren't you supposed to be miss sunshine?" He asked in a bored tone.
"Just being realistic." She replied in an equally bored tone. "You know he had a crush on me." She smiled and thought back.
"Who?"
"Carl. He was a cute young man."
Daryl sighed and wondered if he should give up on his search. It wasn't like him to, as he recalled how he searched days on days for Sophia in the woods. But it had been almost a month now since the prison went down. Maybe this was just how things were supposed to turn out. Nothing would last forever anyway. Hell, he wondered where he and Beth would stand in a year. If they would be together as friends or as lovers. One of them could even be dead. Daryl grunted and peeped over at Beth. Her lips slightly moved as she read. He decided to leave Beth alone and sit by the fire.
Robin and Tara sat by the fire, smiling at each other. They both became emotionless as Daryl sat down opposite them and stretched his legs out.
"Excuse me," Tara said and got up. She held some kind of grudge against Daryl.
Daryl smirked at her back and then at Robin, expecting her to do the same and leave. But she stayed put.
Daryl found a piece of straw and put it in his mouth to nibble on. Robin frowned at him. Daryl looked up and held her gaze. She looked absolutely gorgeous. Some of her curls hung loosely while the rest was tied up. Her head rested on her propped up arm. The afternoon light accented her brown eyes. Daryl felt the sudden urge to plant his lips on hers, to taste her mouth and nibble on her bottom lip. Instead he grunted and wondered where all this was coming from. As if on cue, Beth joined them by the fire. Robin frowned again at Daryl, then at Beth. She left without saying anything.
"What's her problem?" Beth scowled at Robin.
"Dunno." Daryl wasn't sure what was happening. There was something going on between Robin and Beth, and Daryl was sure it had something to do with him. He groaned at these women.
Daryl made his promise to Beth and he meant it. That moment in the tent when they almost became intimate, Daryl had lost himself. He forgot what it was like to have felt so good. Beth was stunning, but in an innocent way. Yet after that night, Daryl wondered just how innocent she was. He considered a future with her, and he was instantly filled with a warm feeling. Then an image of Robin appeared in his mind. She was beautiful in a plain white summer dress. Her curls were bouncing around in the breeze and she was smiling and giggling at him. Daryl shook his head as if trying to get rid of his thoughts. Robin meant nothing to him. Or at least that's what he thought.
"What happened to Carol?" Daryl asked Beth, taking his mind off Robin.
"I don't know. I saw my daddy and Rick having words about it, and my daddy didn't look to pleased about what Rick had to say."
"You don't know why Rick sent her away?" Daryl asked.
"No. I'm sorry I don't."
Daryl grunted. Beth yawned and stretched out. Her back arched and her shirt pulled tight, revealing some of her chest. Daryl's eyes flickered towards it, taking in what he could and suddenly remembered the night in the tent. She was bare chested and so was he. She lay underneath him and he fully felt her warmth. Beth caught Daryl staring at her chest and raised an eyebrow. Daryl decided it was now or never. He shifted over until he sat next to her.
"Look I can't promise anything, Beth. But I can promise you that I will try."
Before giving Beth a chance to take in what he just said, he closed the gap between them. He was just an inch away from her lips, and his breath was warm. Beth wasn't sure what made her , but she leaned in and they kissed softly. While their mouths opened and their tongues found each other's, Beth couldn't help but wonder what would become of them.