11- House 104

“You have to leave today.” Her voice was slick and emotionless, as it always was.

He remained quiet as he toyed with an old coin on his hands. His back was turned to hers as he faced the open window in front of him.

“You and your son are using up my important resources. Resources I did not intend on sharing.”

He glanced at her over his shoulder.

“My son saved your life. He could have left ya for dead, but he chose not to. You owe us.”

“And I paid both of you back. I treated your wounds, fed you, and clothed you. I gave you shelter and protection. If anything, you owe me.”

“You can’t just send us out there.”

“Yes I can. I am not responsible for anyone.” Her voice dripped with ice.

A long period of silence followed and all that was heard was the cling of the coin as Rick played with it. He heard her draw her machete blade out its casing in one fast motion and slammed it into the desk. The blade cut deep into the wood.

“Leave.” She whispered into the tension filled air. “I cannot stress the seriousness of my demands enough.”

She pulled her machete out the desk effortlessly. Rick knew she was strong. She was stronger than most of the men he knew. It was surprising really, given how small she was.

He stood up suddenly and spun around, facing her.

“Mariko,” he started. “The deal was you’d help me find my group and I’d be gone.”

“Your people are dead!” she spat.

“No… No they all are smarter than that.” Rick remained calm.

Mariko blew a stray piece of her jet black hair out her face. Her hair was down to the small of her back and her fringe hung just above her eyebrows. She intended on cutting her hair down to her shoulders later on. But this man and his son were getting in her way of almost everything.

“Listen here Mr Sheriff,” she glared at him. “I was alone when the uglies came. I had been studying in Atlanta for nearly three years. I had no family and no friends. I left everyone behind in Japan when I came down here to study. I had no one to care for in this country and it has been working out great for me. You have no right to barge into my life and plead for my help.”

Rick’s face twitched a bit before he smiled. “That’s a lovely back story you got goin’ there.”

“This isn’t a joke sheriff.” Mariko could kill him now if she wanted. Her eyes flickered past Rick to the setting sun. Her lip twitched.

“Take your son and leave before I lockdown and secure the house.”

“No,” Rick smiled at her.

“Dammit Rick, I do not want you here!” She threw her machete to the ground and kicked a cabinet filled with books over. It crashed to the ground and the glass shattered.

Marika tramped over the broken glass towards the window. She pulled down the metal shutters and padlocked it. Before she left the study she stared at Rick with a blank face.

“If you stay, you look for your friends bodies yourself. And without the use of my expertise or my weapons.”

“That sounds real fine. I appreciate it, Mariko.”

“Don’t mention it.” She said coldly as she pushed past Rick and left to secure every window and door in her double story house.