Chapter Twelve

Alpine took a sudden step forwards, lifting her muzzle. Hollie followed her hopefully.

"I think-," Alpine cut herself off, breathing in again, "I think I've caught his scent."

Hollie's gaze immediately lightened. "Let's go!" She yapped impatiently, waiting for Alpine to lead the way, regaining more hope.

"This way." Alpine concluded. She sprinted off, already beginning to pant.

Why would his scent be leading is to the meadow? Didn't he say he didn't want to go back there? Unless he didn't have a choice. Her thoughts led to a quickened pace, beginning to become aware of the peril Flint could be facing.

She saw the edge of Oak Forest, and rushed as fast as she could. She stumbled to a slowed pace as she reached the open plains, her breathing heavy. Hollie appeared beside her moments later, staring out with a large grin on her face.

Alpine's eyes scanned the grassland, somewhat frantically. A silhouette appeared in her view, quite a ways away.

Hollie followed Alpine's gaze, and let out a soft gasp. Without a second thought, Hollie darted across the plains, nearing the figure. Alpine followed close behind.

"Flint?" Hollie called out as she approached closer. The head of the figure turned, and it took a step towards her.

Alpine slowed as the figure's identity became clear. Flint.

"You're okay!" Hollie bounced over to him joyfully.

"Well, of course I am." Flint grinned, slightly confused.

"We didn't know where you went. We were so worried!" She squeaked as Alpine stepped closer.

"I didn't realize how long I'd been gone." Flint's voice trailed off as his gaze turned to Alpine.

Alpine flinched as his gaze burned into her. He quickly turned back to Hollie, nuzzling her.

"I won't do it again, okay?" He soothed, a subtle chuckle slipping into his voice. Hollie gazed up at him with large eyes, glazed over from the terror she'd gone through.

"Okay." She grinned, her ears swiveled back as she pressed herself into his coat.

"Why'd you come to the plains?" Alpine barked impulsively. "I thought you said you didn't ever want to come back here." She questioned him, stepping closer to Hollie's flank.

He hesitated. "No real reason." He said curtly, rotating to face her.

Unsatisfied, Alpine insisted. "Really?" She sneered. "So, you just came back to this place, full of bad memories, for NO reason?"

"You really care that much?" He snapped. "Fine! I was chasing a rabbit to bring back for you two."

Alpine clenched her teeth. "Whatever." She concluded, trotting off, slightly ashamed of herself.

Flint and Hollie followed close behind. "Alpine, it's alright." Hollie stepped forwards, consoling her friend. "We're all together now."

She looked at Hollie's smile, and smiled back. "I know." She chortled. "I'm sorry." She added softly, tilting her head away.

Hollie leaned forwards and nipped Alpine's ear playfully. "C'mon, lets go back and plan our next adventure!" She yipped, bouncing away towards Flint, who was already plodding into the woodland.

Alpine followed at a much slower pace, keeping her head low with a subtle scowl. As she reached the densite, her low gaze caught sight of Flint's paws.

She looked up, meeting his high gaze. To her surprise, it was welcoming.

"Alpine," he barked, "come this way." He turned and hurried away into Dream Pathways.

She followed, curiosity forcing her. As he slowed, facing Lone Mountain, she did too.

"Do you really think there's something up there?" He questioned, pointing his broad muzzle to the peak.

"Of course I think so!" She replied, as if is question had been ridiculous. "I mean, I know there is."

He took a slight step forwards. "What is it?" He barked quietly.

Alpine was about to reply, but a distant roar cut her off. Looking towards the Human Settlement, she nearly choked on her gasp.

A huge machine was rolling across the pavement, far in the distance, but it's noise was loud enough to reach them.

"An answer." She said, her gaze glued on the huge beast. It drove onto a field of pavement, too far off the catch sight of again.

Flint's eyes were filled with concern. "Let's head back." He said, barely even a suggestion, more of a command.

She didn't protest, and led the way back to Hollie, who approached as they arrived.

"What happened?" She asked as she saw their anxious expressions.

"Nothing." Flint snapped quickly. Hollie flinched back, but relaxed a second later as she saw his apologetic gaze.

Alpine kept silent, her teeth clenched. I know there's something up there, something that will tell us more.

"Alpine?" She jerked her head up as Hollie's voice brought her back from her thoughts. "Flint and I are going for a quick walk."

"We'll be back by sundown." Flint added briskly, starting off into the dense undergrowth.

Alpine nodded after the pair, sitting down comfortably outside the hollow. She wrapped her tail around her haunch.

The sun was high in the sky, indicating it had just passed noon recently. Although the sky was clouded and a bit darker than usual, it was still visible.

Her eyes immediately focused on Lone Mountain behind her. The shadowy peak was tempting, but she stayed down in the woods.

A low sigh slipped between her teeth. She'd have to change her main goal, as Flint and Hollie didn't show any signs in wanting to climb it.

Her thoughts flashed to her family. Where are they? Are they okay? Are they even alive?

A fantastic idea filled her mind. She'd find them! She'd missed them dearly, beyond explanation. And maybe one of her packmates would attempt the feat with her.

But, she couldn't just abandon her friends. Torn, she stood up and trotted in the direction of the lake.

Awhile later she reached the shore, gazing into her reflection. She squinted, pinning back her ears. She'd truly grown.

Would they even remember me? Did they look for me? Do they even care I'm gone, did they notice?

Doubts flooded her senses. A slow tear rolled down her cheek, but she wiped it away on a reed beside her.

A snap suddenly sounded behind her. The sky had grown dark.

"Flint, Hollie?" She called out in the dim forest. No reply sounded.

A gentle rustle came from her right. "Hello?" She barked, louder this time. Another rustle came from her left, and another crack behind her.

She was surrounded.