Chapter Nine

Alpine stared, eyes wide as the rustling came closer and a set of sharp teeth stuck out of the undergrowth. "Flint? H-Hollie?" She said again, her voice wavering with fear. 

Hollie shot her a gaze so full of terror it sent chills through Alpine's pelt. She turned her gaze toward Flint, who had his hackles raised and teeth bared. "Back away." He said lowly, his voice like gravel.

Hollie and Alpine obeyed, and slunk backward. Alpine's chest gave one sharp throb. As they were nearing safety, a head broke from the tall undergrowth.

"Bear!" Hollie cried out as the enormous bear crashed towards them with a roar. Its body was scarred all over, and one of its eyes was slashed to blindness. It took a step towards Flint, who snarled in return.

"Flint!" Hollie cried. She dashed over to him as the bear swooped its paw towards him. He dodged as Hollie arrived at his side. He glared at her and motioned for her to run away to safety, but she stayed put. Alpine whimpered and ran forward after a moment of hesitation.

The bear didn't seem to sway in confidence at all and slashed at the wolves. Alpine ducked low to the ground, the bear's paw barely skimming her back. She stood back up just in time to see Hollie flung away, and Flint yelp with worry for his sister.

Alpine watched as Hollie scrambled to her paws, her tail slightly wagging, but this time with determination. The bear swung at them a few more times as she kept her eye on Hollie.

Hollie flung herself at the large, gray bear. It roared as she gripped its forearm. Alpine leapt on after her, holding tightly on its side. Flint grabbed its haunch.

After a little while, the bear grumbled with pain and loped away. Hollie winked with a wag of her tail. "That was so scary!" Alpine whined. "Aw, it's alright, Alpine. It's gone now, we taught it a lesson!" Hollie said.

Alpine nodded, her gaze down. Flint looked back, his eyes seeming dull. "Flint..?" Alpine asked with concern. He groaned and doubled over, collapsing. Hollie yelped and ran over to his limp body. "Hey, get up! Flint, c'mon! Please?" Hollie pleaded with tears in her eyes. Alpine stepped over towards them.

She watched the wolf's flank rise and fall. "He's alive." Alpine told Hollie. She had her nose buried in his fur. "Is he hurt?" Hollie mumbled. Alpine checked him over. She didn't notice any wounds.

Alpine flipped him over and felt bile rise in her throat. His pelt was sticky with blood, and a long gash ran along his side near his stomach. It didn't seem to be too deep, yet she could tell he had lost a lot of blood.

Hollie turned away with a groan and walked away across the clearing. Alpine stared at Flint's wound, then dashed into the forest. She avoided logs and puddles, searching for a patch of soft yet sturdy leaves. 

She saw them out of the corner of her eye and turned quickly. She grabbed a bunch in her mouth and ran back to Flint.

She began placing them along his wound, out of breath. "He'll be ok, won't he?" Hollie asked, spooking Alpine a bit. She nodded, although she wasn't completely sure. He will be fine. She tried to convince herself of it, but a small part of her was still unsure.

"We should take him to a safer place than this clearing, it's too out in the open." Alpine told Hollie. "Alright. I think there's a safer place over there. When I jumped down from the tree stump I thought I caught a glimpse of a fallen tree." Hollie replied.

"Lead the way." Alpine barked, grabbing Flint by his scruff and gently dragging him towards Hollie. She tried to ignore the subtle stabs of pain in her chest. They reached a large, hollow log and set Flint down softly. His breathing was slow, rough, and unnatural.

"Alpine," Hollie whined, "are you sure he'll wake back up?" Alpine looked at her, eyes wide. She took a breath, "Hollie," She began. Hollie's eyes grew wider.

"Don't tell me." She breathed. Alpine flinched at Hollie's dull tone. Her always gleaming eyes were full of grief.

"He's not dead." Alpine said bluntly, attempting anything to cheer her up. "True." Hollie sighed. "He was so brave, jumping at that bear fearlessly." Hollie smiled, her admiration for her brother clear.

"Let's get some sleep." Alpine suggested, settling down in a pile of leaves that must have blown into the log. Hollie agreed with a yawn, curling up beside Flint. Alpine watched as Hollie's breath slowed into sleep.

She slunk out of the log. The sun was setting, filling the sky with vibrant, yet fading, colors. She shook her head, knowing how stupid it was to wander alone when she knew there was a dangerous bear roaming about.

Hopefully it won't bother me, maybe we really did teach it a lesson. I just need to clear my head. She trotted into the dim forest, leaves gently crunching as she walked.

The air around her suddenly felt cold, as if she were trapped in ice. She swung herself around in confusion. "Hello? What's happening to me?" She called, "Help!" She began to feel numb. 

She saw something flicker in the shadows. Is this a dream? My imagination? "Is someone there? What do you want?" She asked, almost begging for an answer. "The mountain." A whisper came, creeping through the air and sending shivers through Alpine.

"What? Who are you? Where are you? What do you mean?" She whimpered, afraid. "The mountain." The voice repeated, fading away.

Alpine suddenly collapsed, no longer feeling frozen. What did it mean? There are so many mountains, too many to count. A whole huge range of them! Maybe it didn't even mean a real mountain. 

Her mind raced as she made her way back to the log. Then it hit her. Lone mountain. It would make complete sense.

She ran to log, her breath coming out in short gasps. "Alpine! Where were you?" Hollie asked. "Hollie!" Alpine stared at her with such terror that Hollie scooted backward. "Alpine?" Hollie asked, confused.

A tear silently made its way down Alpine's muzzle. "Hollie. I'm scared," She began, "this corner of Oak Forest..." Hollie looked at her, very concerned. "What happened? Are you alright?" Hollie stood up and sniffed Alpine.

"I'm fine, I think," Alpine said, "But we need to get away from this part of the forest." "Why? It's just more shadowed here Alpine." Hollie said with a small giggle.

"No, it's not that." She gave Hollie a little nudge. "I'll tell you later. It's just this small corner of Oak Forest and Hazel Lake, it's just," She struggled to find the correct word, "strange here, not good here, something like that."

Hollie nodded, obviously still confused. "Alpine? Are you sure you're ok?" Hollie asked. Alpine nodded. "It's really late." Alpine said, curling up with her tail over her nose.  "Goodnight." Hollie said with a grin.

Lone mountain. The words haunted Alpine's sleep, leaving her still feeling exhausted the next morning. "'Mornin'." She groaned. Flint's eyes flickered open with a grimace.

"Flint!" Hollie barked excitedly. "Hey sis." Flint croaked. "Oh, thank goodness you're awake!" Hollie yipped, licking Flint's muzzle. Alpine smiled.

Flint let out a small gasp as he looked at his flank. "I didn't know it was that bad." He mumbled under his breath. "It looks better than before." Alpine said with a wag of her tail.

Flint gave a slight smile back. "Where are we?" He asked. "A hollow log not too far from where you passed out." Hollie replied.

"It's huge." Flint said with a huff of laughter. "I think it's from a really old and massive oak tree." Alpine said, padding around the large space. "This part of the forest is a bit... scary." Hollie said.

Alpine nodded in agreement. "We should leave when you can walk." She suggested. "Soon." Flint nodded with a smirk.