Chapter sixteen:

Beep Beep Beep

Slowly, my eyes opened. All of the sudden, I was seeing dots. The alarm clock kept telling me to get out of bed. I kicked the bedsheets off and sat on the edge of my bed, feeling weak. I shut my alarm clock off, and then wobbled to the bathroom. I held onto the walls for support. The bathroom door was wide open. I groped the wall for the light switch. The room lit up, and I instantly looked up at the mirror.

I didn't recognize who I was looking at. The face of the girl before me was pale and her lips weren't as pink and lively as usual. She was sweating, her mouth dry and her pajamas soaked with her sweat. Slowly, she sat on the toilet seat. I started to feel light headed.

"Mom!" I called. "Mom... Mom!"

No, "What is it, Abby?" or "Yes, Abby?"

Either I wasn't loud enough, or she didn't hear me. I started seeing dots again.

My body felt as if all my strength, or any strength I had, was stripped from me. I felt fuzzy... tired... very, very weak. My vision was blurred, and I couldn't make out anything. A light shone above me. I was getting more confused by the second. All I could think about was Mom. Where was she?

"Mom," I called. "Mom!"

"Yes?" I hear faintly. "What is it, Abby?"

I force myself up. I began to feel lightheaded. Again, I held onto the walls for support.

"I don't... feel... good," I breath.

"What, honey?" I hear.

"Mom... I don't feel..."

"ABBY!" my mother screamed.

My eyes focused on the woman that was staring back at me. She had worry written all over her face. My eyes focused on her. And only on her. Again, I felt as if all my strength was stripped from me. I felt fuzzy all over again.

"Abby? Abby, can you hear me?" the woman was saying. "Can you hear me?"

I blinked. "Yes. Yes, I can hear you."

"Where are you? Do you remember who I--"

"Who are you?" I asked.

The woman bit her lip. "Abigail... it's Mom. It's me, baby girl. It's me. Oh, Abby... "

"My breath... " I breath. My breath smelled like morning breath... but ten times worse. It made me want to puke.

"What? What about your breath, Abigail?" the woman asked desperately.

I couldn't answer. I had the words in my mouth... I just couldn't get them out. The woman, who, all of the sudden, I recognize as my mother, asks again, "Do you know where you are?"

My eyes looked around. "My... r-room... ?"

Mom nodded.

"What time is it?"

"Six ten," Mom replied.

"School," I breath. "I have to go to school... Finals... my grade... I have to go to school. I have to go to school, Mom."

"Oh, no, no," Mom said, her voice quivering. "You have to stay home." She touched my forehead. "You're sweating. I'm not sending you to school like this."

I started to cry. "I feel fine. Let me go. Let me go... "

"No, you stay at home."

"What happened?"

"Shh..." Mom wiped my tears. "I'll tell you later."

"No. Now. Tell me now." My stomach rumbled.

"After when you've had something to eat. Can you stand up?" Mom got up, but stayed low. She clasped my hand tightly. I got up. Mom guided me to the kitchen and to the dining table. Mom put a bowl of oatmeal in front of me along with some fruit.

"What happened?" I asked again.

"Eat your oatmeal," she said.

I pushed the oatmeal away from me. "I'm not eating until you tell me."

"You fainted, honey. In the hallway and your room," Mom explained.

"And in the bathroom," I added.

Mom gasped. "What? You fainted in the bathroom?"

"At least... I think I did." I tried to remember. But I couldn't.

I stared down at my oatmeal. Somehow, I started to feel dizzy again. Mom took notice.

"Abby?" she said, her voice tinged with worry.

"Take me back to bed. Please," I said.

Mom guided me out of the kitchen and to my room. I laid on the bed, and Mom pulled the sheets over me. She gave my forehead a long kiss. Then, she began to leave.

"No," I said.

"No, what?" Mom asked.

"Don't leave."

"I'll come back," she promised. "I just need to call the school real quick. Okay?"

I mumbled, "Okay."

Soon, Mom came back. She laid down with me.

"Are you feeling better?" she asked.

"A little. Did you call the school?"

"Yes, I did."

"I'm sorry I scared you, Mom."

Mom sighed. "It happens. Try and rest... okay?"

EEK!!! What's wrong with Abby???? 😫😵😱😱