Chapter eighteen:

"We've  got the results back!" Dr. Hales announced as he waved a thin packet of papers. He pulled up a chair and sat between my bedside and my mother and Tony.

"Is it bad?" I asked, nervously.

Dr. Hales continued, "The reason why you fainted was because of dehydration, your menstruation cycle, and lack of eating. When I first saw you, your lips were dry and chapped and pale. Now they're the normal color."

"And how did her menstruation cycle play a part of her fainting?" asked my mother.

"Do you get heavy periods, Abigail?" asked Dr. Hales.

"Most of the time," I said, wishing that Tony wasn't present.

"Well, that explains it. Because of the extensive blood loss, it made you faint, also. As for lack of eating-- "

"If I may, Dr. Hales," Mom jumped in, "Abby once told us before all of this happened, that she would go on a diet to lose weight... And I've noticed how much she cut back on food. Usually she ate everything."

"Shut up, Mom!" I wanted to say. "I can't believe you-- selling me out!" But I didn't. I would get into serious trouble.

"I lost fifteen pounds!" I protested. "My diet worked."

"And look where it got you," said my mother, gesturing at our surroundings.

"Dieting can make you lose weight," Dr. Hales began. "Lots of people are trying to reach the same goals as Abigail. But, in this case, she was doing it to the extreme."

Mom spoke. "Here's what I'm more interested in-- What made Abby start dieting?"

Everyone turned to me.

I told them the obvious answer. "To lose weight... that's all."

"Are you bullied at school because of your weight?" asked Tony, his voice surprisingly soft.

"No," I lied. I unintentionally bit my lip.

"Abby... the truth," Mom insisted. "Please."

All of the sudden, I break down in tears. I had no idea I had them. They just flowed out like a river.

"I was so jealous seeing girls at school wearing tight jeans and skirts, flaunting their flat stomach while walking around in crop tops... getting all the boys. And then--" I choked on a sob-- "there's me."

Mom walked to my bedside and put her arm around me. She had tears in her eyes herself. "Oh, Abby... " she whispered. Tony handed me a tissue.

"Abigail... I have two daughters your age," Dr. Hales said gently. "And they struggle with the same insecurities just like you are. They both share the similarity that you have."

I looked up. "What similarity?"

"Beauty. You're beautiful, Abigail."

"You're just saying that," I said, sniffling.

Dr. Hales shook his head. "I am not. You're beautiful."

"I am?" I looked at Mom.

Mom smiled and nodded.

I looked at Tony. And he smiled and nodded, too.

Before we left, Dr. Hales gave us a follow-up packet, a doctor's note for me to take to school, and the bill. We then thanked Dr. Hales for fixing me up and left. We drove in comfortable silence back to the house. Then, all of the sudden, I realized that Robert's wedding was today. I had forgotten all about it.