Chapter fourteen:

I realized how much time has passed since Grace and I had our fight. I was really concerned. She hadn't spoken to me yet, and it was about time that she did. I'd see her now and then during passing period, talking with other people and laughing. I wondered if she missed me or thought about me. Even a little bit. Then again, I'd see her hanging around Tad Bryant. So I doubt it. But I've missed her. And to be honest, I'm kind of getting tired of hanging out with just Lauren.
I desperately wanted to talk to Grace. Just once. I wanted to know if we were cool or not. But I knew that talking to Grace would be impossible. It was obvious that she was still upset, and when Grace is upset, it's a waste of time to talk to her. But Lauren says that making up with Grace is the least thing I should be worrying about. Finals were five days away, counting the weekend. Finals officially started on Tuesday. Now the teachers were really pushing us. I was just about done with the teachers. They're so annoying! Eat a healthy breakfast, go to sleep early, study! I mean, not everyone's that good of a student!

Lauren's birthday was on Finals. On Friday, she told me that she and her family were going out to see a movie and go out to dinner on Saturday. She asked if I wanted to go. Of course, I said yes. Weekends were boring now that Zarah left. And with Finals coming up, I thought it was a great idea to just relax and have some fun. When I got home, I told Mom. She said that I should go. On the condition that I promise to eat. I promise, but I had my fingers crossed behind my back.

The Baldwin family volkswagen pulled up on the driveway at ten a.m. just after I finished breakfast. Since then, we've been driving for two hours. The four of us in the back-- myself, Lauren, and her younger twin siblings, Gabriel and Natalie-- passed the time by playing the License Plate Game and I Spy. After awhile, it got boring. That's when Natalie started to ask, "Are we there yet?" every five minutes.

Lauren's mother would reply, "Nope... not there yet" until we got to our destination. Turns out we were going to the annual state fair. I've never been to the fair before. I heard it's very fun. Ferris wheels, roller coasters, cotton candy, magic shows, and so much more. After parking the car, we all went out and walked to the entrance of the fair. So many people were there! Young and old, couples and families.

"Okay, we can stay for a while here, we've plenty of time before the movie starts," said Mrs. Baldwin. She zipped open her purse and pulled out her pocketbook. She gave Lauren and I each a twenty dollar bill. "You girls get lost. Have fun, go on rides, and don't forget to eat some lunch. Stay together, most importantly. Y'all have your phones?"

We nodded.

Mrs. Baldwin sent us off.

"So, what ride do you want to go on first?" Lauren asked excitedly.

"Ferris wheel," I said, pointing to the direction where the ride was.

Lauren smiled. "Let's go."

The line for the ferris wheel went quick. Lauren and I strapped ourselves on the booth. The operator went over the do's and don'ts before starting the ride. Then, unexpectedly, the ferris wheel began to move. Lauren and I held hands as we got higher and higher. We saw the whole park from where we were. I pointed out that there was a bumper car ride to Lauren, and we both agreed to go try that ride out after.

"I liked the ferris wheel, but I loved the bumper cars better," Lauren said when we finished both rides. She laughed. "You are a horrible driver!"

I scoffed and gave Lauren a shove. "So are you!"

"Abby, who got their driver's license first?" Lauren raised a playful eyebrow.

"You," I grumbled, playfully rolling my eyes.

Lauren nodded. "Exactly. Which ride is next?"

"First, I need to go to the bathroom," I said. I've been holding it in since the ferris wheel.

"I do, too, actually," Lauren winced. "Come on, I know where the bathrooms are." She led me by the arm.

Thank goodness the bathrooms weren't those disgusting porta-potties. The bathrooms were surprisingly very clean. And there wasn't a line either. I picked a stall, and looked down at my underpants to see blood on them. Not a lot-- just a stain.

I called, "Lauren, you still in here?"

"Yeah," she said.

"I got it," I said, knowing that Lauren would know what I mean. "When you're done can you get me pad?"

"Of course." Lauren's toilet flushed and I heard the stall door creak open. A moment later, a pad slid smoothly under my stall.

"Thanks," I said.

"You're welcome. I'll wait outside," Lauren told me.

I peeled the paper off the pad. I wrapped the folds around my underpants, covering the blood stain. I washed my hands after I finished and met Lauren outside.

"You good?" she asked.

"Yeah," I said. "Now, roller coaster or chairlift?"

"Roller coaster. We should try The Dragon. I heard it's amazing!"

We raced to The Dragon. It's the fastest ride on the fair. The roller coaster's paint job looked like a dragon, hence the name, and the operator are dressed as knights. Lauren and I rode on the front seats. I was amazed at how quick the ride was. It was so fast! The wind blasting on my hair, my hands raised up the whole time, it was great! Lauren and I loved it so much, we rode it a second time. After, we decided to find something to eat.

Finding something to eat was so difficult. There was so much stuff to choose from! Hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken and waffles, corn dogs, pizza-- just to name a few options. Finally we decided to grab some hamburgers. Because it was a large burger, Lauren and I split it. I got the smaller half. But I was still hungry.

"What time is it?" I asked Lauren as we rode the chairlift.

"Time for you to get a watch!" Lauren laughed. "Just kidding-- it's three o'clock... and my mom just text me. She says to meet her at the parking lot after. I think we're going to see the movie."

"What movie are we watching?"

"Either between the new Star Wars or something else," said Lauren.

"Cool," I said.

We met Lauren's family at the parking lot. We strapped ourselves into our seats and Mr. Baldwin started the car. We arrived at a mall that had a theatre across from it. Before we got our tickets, we did a vote on which movie we wanted to see-- Star Wars or Ferdinand. We ended up watching Ferdinand because Mrs. Baldwin thought Star Wars was too violent for Gabriel and Natalie. In the end, I was glad we watched Ferdinand. I liked it a lot!

"Alright, who's hungry?" asked Mrs. Baldwin. She wrapped her arm around Lauren. "Since it's Lauren's birthday, she can choose whatever she wants."

I already knew what Lauren wanted.

"Let's eat Italian," she said.

Italian it was. We went to a place called Little Kitchen Italy for dinner. We sang Happy Birthday to Lauren after we ate. After we cut the cake Mrs. Baldwin got, we went back home. We arrived at about nine o'clock in the evening. My mother was waiting for me.

"So, how'd it go?" she asked.

"Good," I said. I walked to my room. Mom followed me.

"Did you have fun?"

"Yeah."

"Did you eat?"

Kinda.

"Yeah," I said, yawning. "I'm exhausted."

"So am I. Good night, Abby," Mom said, kissing my forehead.

"'Night, Mom."

I started to put on my pajamas just as Mom left my room. After, I laid down on my bed and instantly fell asleep the minute I put my head on my pillow.