Chapter three (finished)

"Whoever holds their splits the longest gets five extra credit points!" Ms. Pierce announced. "The highest time you have to beat is five minutes and thirty seconds. Everyone who wishes to do this challenge, please line up on this black line in front of me."

About only five boys lined up. Almost all the girls lined up with them. Lauren, who stood where Ms. Pierce instructed, motioned me to join her. Lauren was crazy if she thought I could do the splits wearing these leggings. They could rip and show my underwear! You know, I would wear a thong, but then... we'll, you already know. Most of the girls wore thongs, even Lauren. I don't know about Grace though. One time, on a different magazine, Zarah wore one. I bet I was the only girl in school that never and will never wear a thong.

"You look like you're in pain," I remarked to Lauren when she finished.

She groaned. "I am! Why did I do that?"

"Does anyone else want to do the splits?" Ms. Pierce asked.

"Abby, you do the splits," Lauren encouraged.

I shook my head rapidly. "Oh, no! I rather get hit by the dodge ball."

Ms. Pierce then called on Bree, who had her hand up . No one else volunteered to do the splits along side her. Things changed when she said the Bree could pick any person to do the splits with. Immedaitely, Bree looked to me. Uh oh.

I knew it.

"I choose Abby," she told Ms. Pierce.

Ms. Pierce smiled. "How about it, Abby? Wanna do the splits with Bree?"

Bree smirked.

There was no way I was doing the splits... I made it very clear. But against Bree? No! No, that's just another way for her to make fun of me. I could just picture it: Ms. Pierce would start her timer. And immediately Bree makes a perfect split on the ground. I don't even get down far enough and my leggings rip. The end. I would never show my face at Dance ever again.

Then.... another thought came to me: What if I did do the splits, beat the time and Bree. Her legs would cramp and I would hold the title as the person who held the splits the longest! And she will never show her face at Dance, again! Oh, yeah, bring it on, Bree.

"Sure," I said finally. I lined up a few inches away from Bree. "Let's do this."

"Remember: The time was five minutes and thirty seconds," Ms. Pierce. She reset her stop watch. Mine and Bree's eyes met. It's on.

"Ready... set... split!"

Not only did I do the splits... my leggings split with me.

Everyone, including Bree, was laughing. Luke, Ms. Pierce and Lauren had shock written on their faces. Their mouths hung open. The rest laughed and laughed. I felt my face turn red, and my eyes filling with tears with not only utter embarrassment, but in pain. I never did the splits before today. I've never went to gymnastics as a kid. I never had any particular interest in any sport. And now here I was, in a room full of athletes, failing miserably doing the splits, and now with split leggings.