Ch. 22 - A final goodbye

~ CHAPTER 22 - A FINAL GOODBYE ~

 The sun was long gone and Nate and I were cuddled up next to a big oak. I was seated inbetween his legs with his arms around my waist and my back leaning aginst his torso.

"I'm leaving." I said shifting so I could see his face.

"Why" was all he said, he looked out over the ocean.

"Beacuse I can't stay here" I said shifting back and looking at the waves. "I thought I could, but I've realized I can't and with dad and Diane married it is all just going to get worse. So I might as well leave before then. All of my stuff were shipped of this afternoon"

"Where are you going to live?"

"With my aunt, she lives three hours from here. And then I would get a proper job and get my own place"  I said and looked back at Nate. "I was wondering if you wanted to come with me? I know that would mean leaving your family and..." I couldn't finish the sentece, hearing myself suggesting him to leave his family that loves him to run off with me didn't sound as realistic anymore, it had sounded better in my head.

"Maybe you shoudn't leave." He tried. "You don't have to be with them all the time, you could live with me and my family." he tried to talk me out of it, as he rubbed comforting circles on my hips with his fingers. But we both knew that I wouldn't change my mind. I hadn't lived here in ages, this was no longer my home. I needed to make my own home, and it wasn't here.

-*-*-

The midnight train I was going to take had just rolled into the station and everyone was getting on. I had gotten the bag from Nate's room with all the things I needed for the trip. Looking around the platform I wanted to see his thin figgure and brown hair running towards me and telling me he was coming with me. 

But I guess that was asking for too much.

I got on the train and stood in the door way looking for any signs of him. Then a whistle blew and the doors closed. He wasn't coming.

A single tear rolled down my cheak as I took up my ticket and looked for my seat. 

17... 18... 19.

"Exuse me this is my seat" I said as I saw the back of a brown haired head occupying my seat. My heart pounding in my chest, maybe he was here all along.

"Oh sorry, I didn't know if this was twenty or nineteen, sorry" he said as he scoted over a seat.

"It's fine" I said as I sat down.

It was just a guy with brown hair, honestly he looked nothing like the boy I loved.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen" a voice said as the train picked up speed. "And we got a special message today" the voice from the speakers said as the anoncment was coming to an end, well this was something new. "Could Winifred Reynolds come to the front please. Winifred Reynolds could  you please come to the front." And then the message was ended. 

Well this is weird, I thought as I picked up my bag and headed for the front of the train. Since the numbers on these trains started at the back and each train took about two hundred pasengers, it took me a while to get to the front. 

Once I got there I knocked to the door leading to the cabin where the driver sat. 

"What?" I asked confused as the person who opened the door was someone I least expected.

"Shit I almost thought you changed your mind or something" Nate said relived as he hugged me tightly.

"But what are you doing here?" 

"Right now, I'm giving you the opportunity of a life time." he said as he smiled broadly. "You my friend are going to get to drive the train"

"No way" I said as I looked at the conductor to see her waving me over.

Driving the train was the most awasome thing I've ever done. I felt free, like if I could take on the world. And with Nate by my side I think we could.

°°°Song of the chapter: Summer paradise - Simple Plane