Ch. 3 - One Week Left

~ CHAPTER 3 - ONE WEEK LEFT ~

I can't believe it's the end of my last semester here. Time have moved so slow, and yet here I am one week from graduation.

I haven't been home once, for about eight years. I've always come up with some lame excuse to avoid having to meet my dad. And it wasn't like if he wanted to see me either, so the accepted the most unbeliable exuses without even blinking an eye.

I made the mistake of coming home during the fall break in fifth grade, it had ended with us screaming at each other all night and me catching the first train in the morning.

Maybe if I had waited longer to see him we might gotten along better, but I wasn't going to risk getting into another unnecessary argument and being in a foul mood for a week.

During the winter break I couldn't come home because of the snowstorm, I couldn't make it home during spring break either because I was going to hang with my friends and their families and during summer I had to attend summer school since I was still a bit behind with my studies.

And just like that I had avoided my dad for a year, and just like that I continued for eight years.

The only contact I had with my dad was during the occasional times when the school needed an guardian to acknowledge my grades. Even then we didn't speak. He just sent a letter to me saying that he had seen my grades, and I then gave the letter to my mentor.

-*-*-

I was eating lunch and looking over the school yard seeing the younger kids goofing around with big smiles on their faces.

I couldn't remember the last time a genuine smile had crossed my lips. I didn't really have someone who I could consider my real friend, sure I knew some folks that I talked to and hanged out with, but there were only one whom I consider my friend at this school. Sadly she was long gone.

I wasn't lacking social skills, I just didn't find it necessary to make friends only to have them stab you in your back or abandon you for someone else.

I could here the distant chatter, of the girls I use to hang with, come closer.

''Oh, hi.'' a high pitched voice said. turning around I could see all five of them walking towards me, each carrying a tray with diet food or a salad.

''Hello'' I answered as I continued sipping out of my coke.

They sat down next to me and continued talking about graduation.

The conversation went from where the best party was going to be, to what to wear.

The conversation went quiet and when I shifted my gaze, five pairs of eyes were all staring at me.

''Huh?'' I stupidly let out ''what?''

''Leslie just asked you if you got a dress to wear?'' Sahara answered while flicking her black hair over her shoulder.

Shrugging my shoulders I answered ''No, not yet. I'm thinking of just throwing on some jeans and a nice t-shirt or something'' A collective gasp could be heard.

''Oh, no, no, no. You need to wear a dress'' Belle, the girl on my left said.

''You want to look your best, so everyone will remember how stunning you looked.'' Sahara uttered.

Still a bit chocked by my statement, Mckenzie just came to, as she said ''I know, why don't we all go shopping for graduation dresses after scho - ''

Cut short by a squeal, ''OMG, I think that's an awesome idea, lets hit the mall, you can never get enough shopping'' and Sahara squealed.

Oh no not again, please don't make me go, I really don't...

My train of thought was cut short as someone took my tray and pulled me up to my feet, almost falling I somehow managed to regain my balance.

"What are you - " I tried to ask but got interrupted by the fifth member of the group, Lauren.

"Lets go now, come on it's not like we're doing much in school anyway since it the last week and all. And if we go now the mall will be less crowded." She smiled happily at the thought of skipping school and go shopping instead.

They all started to walk back to the cafeteria, refusing to listen to my old complains they dragged me along with them.

We snuck out of campus and took the buss to the mall. A few stations later we arrived and headed to a clothing store where they would have and I quote 'the perfect grad. outfit' end quote.

Urgh did I mention how much I hate shopping, spendings hours looking at different kinds of jeans and sweaters was such an enormous waste of time.

While the girls where looking for dresses, I was looking for something far more important. A chair. I felt like we had been here for hours and my feet were killing me. Why didn't the stores have more chairs? And why was this taking so long, they only needed to find five dresses, one for each of them and there seemed to be thousands here. So why not just pick one and be done with it.

They'd tried to get me to try some of the dresses they found but after trying a fourth dress, I couldn't take it any more and now I just wanted to sit and eat.

"Hey, Red, what do you think of this one?" Mckenzie asked. She wore a baby pink strapless dress, gradually turning white towards the bottom, ending at mid thigh.

"It's nice" I said once again shrugging my shoulders. This had been on repeat for twenty minutes. They were all in different changing rooms trying on dresses and coming out to show them off and sometimes asking for my opinion. Which by now only consisted of nice, good and nice.

"Hmmm, I don't know, it's not long enough." she said while checking her reflection in the mirror.

"Well then get a longer one" I replied barley looking up from my phone.

"Yeah, maybe you're right, though I don't know, maybe I like this length" Just then Lauren came out in a dress just as long. Makenzie doing a once over at Lauren, continued "Umm, you defiantly should wear that one. It makes your butt look bigger. But I need a longer one, my butt looks enormous.

Tuning out their voices as they continued to discus the dresses, I closed my eyes and dozed off.

-*-*-

My back was aching badly and my neck was stiff. How long had I been sleeping? Rubbing my eyes, I noticed a post-it note on my head. Ripping it of and turning it around, it read: 'We didn't want t disturb your sleep. See you in school tomorrow. XOXO'

What!

First they drag me all the way here and then they just leave me. Urgh, why do I keep hanging out with them? This was just one of the reason why I didn't bother with friends. Most human beings are assholes.

When I reached my dorm room it was already past midnight, not bothering to take of my clothes, I fell onto my bed and passed out within seconds.