Ch. 11 - Don't trust the gut feeling

~ CHAPTER 11 - DON’T TRUST THE GUT FEELING  ~

Waking up in my queen-sized bed I had a huge smile on my lips. Combing though my mane of unruly dark brown hair and applying some make up, I still had the same smile on my lips. There was just something about this day that felt amazing. 

This was going to be the best day in my life, or well at least according to my gut feeling.

As I entered the kitchen, I came face to face with a very angry looking Diane, and she seemed to get even more pissed - if that even was possible - when she saw the smile on my face.

“I put so much effort into re-doing your room and this is how you thank me, by not even sleeping in there! How come you renovated the whole attic and I bet that cost us a fortune and you didn’t even ask for permission, you ungrateful excuse for a child.” she ranted and every word coming out of her mouth was louder than the pervious.

How dare she accuse me of things like that.

“What! I was allowed to renovate the attic, unlike you whom just ruined my room and made it to a uterus WITHOUT MY permission. And it’s not like money is a problem, besides I payed for at least half, and you shouldn’t dare accuse me of wasting someone else money, you money sucking leech.” I yelled back. She’s not going to blame things on me when she is the cause of it.

“I do not waste money. I renovated you room out of the kindness of my heart.” my ass, you did. “And I do not love you father only because of his money.” well, fine then, it’s like 95% because of his money and 5% because of the life style he’s living thanks to his money “I will soon be you mother and I will not tolerate you talking to me like that, do you understand?” 

Looking at the kitchen clock, I realized that I would be late for my second day at work unless I ran, now. 

“Whatever” I said as I rushed out of the kitchen and towards town. But before the door closed I yelled, "You'll never be my mother".

-*-*-

“Just on time” Joshua said as he saw me enter the cafe, only seconds before the minute hand on the clock struck twelve. 

Smiling I passed him and went into the back to put on my apron and tie my hair in a knot. 

“Do you have a spare pen? I can’t seem to find the normal one.” I asked Joshua.

“Lacey has the pen, but I was thinking that you could work in the kitchen today.” He said while getting some sodas form the refrigerator. 

“Oh, alright.”

-*-*-

To work in the kitchen was even more stressful than working as a waitress but the only good thing was that you didn’t have to think about your appearance or if you had a smile on your face. 

After taking out my thirtieth batch of pastry out of the oven, I could just make out the side of Logan's laughing face through the translucent glass wall separating the cafe and the kitchen. 

Peaking through the round window in the door I could see Logan and some of his friends, clutching their stomachs and laughing as Lacey was on he knees wiping up a pile of hamburger and fries leftovers and something that looked like ice cream, or maybe it was pudding, from the floor. 

Joshua was stuck helping an older couple to read the menu but he kept shooting disturbed glances in the boys direction. 

How can they make such a mess and then make Lacey clean it up, treating her like some sort of slave. 

When the blond boy ‘accidentally’ spilled his coke over Lacey, I almost opened the door to pound on them but I was to slow, Joshua was already by the table shoving them out of the cafe. 

I held the door open for Lacey to come though and we then walked towards the back where she found a clean shirt and washed her hair.

I never though a person could change so completely, it’s like day and night, I never saw him like this when we were younger. I had always admired him for his good manners and chivalry, when ever our parents had get together. 

“Hey Red, someone is looking for you.” Joshua said sticking his head in the kitchen. 

Walking out to the cafe I could see Nate standing next to Joshua.

“I though that when your shift end, we could go fishing. If you want to of course.” Nate smiled and fiddled with the hem of his shirt.

“Sure I’d love to.” Smiling at Nate “I end at...” not knowing when I ended today I looked at Joshua.

“The rush hour have passed and it’s down hill form now, so you’re free to go.” Joshua said shrugging his shoulders, before turing his attention to some new guests.

“Alright then, I just have to get my stuff, I’ll be right back” I said to Nate before entering the kitchen.

“Lacey, I’m leaving with Nate. Are you alright or do you need help with something?” I asked Lacey who was behind the bathroom door.

“No, I’m fine, thanks. Have a good time” She said through the locked door. Collecting my things I left.

“Bye Lacey”

“See you tomorrow.” she answered.

°°°New project; Give me the name (or link) to your favorite song (or any song you feel is up to it) and I might turn your song into a short story! :)