Ch. 6 - Dinner with memories

~ CHAPTER 6 - DINNER WITH MEMORIES ~

''Good you're back, as you might have noticed we changed your room a bit'' 'a bit' really that's how you're going to put it, you've redone the whole thing. ''We thought you would be pleased to have a newly renovated room.'' Diane said forcing a smile, as I went through the front door.

"Um, yeah. I noticed. May I just ask where did you put all of my old things?" I asked, trying to be as polite as possible. Although we both were very aware of the air growing heavy with despise for the other person.

"We put it in the attic above the garage."

''Oh, okay'' I answered changing direction towards the garage.

True to her words my things had been thrown into different sized cardboard boxes piled on top of each other.

There were about ten boxes in total opening and going through my old stuff, I soon realized I didn't feel like I needed that much of it.

Getting a roll with black garbage bags I began throwing away most of my old toys and junk I had back then.

Out of sentimental reasons I kept a few items like my most beloved stuffed lamb, some photos and some souvenirs from places I had visited when I was younger.

I also found a long forgotten necklace that I got from an old friend. It was a gold charm and with a bit of imagination it looked like the front of a train.

After filling five or six bags, I had sorted out all of the stuff I wanted to keep from the things I wanted to get rid of. In the end I didn't really keep that much and combined with the things I had with me from boarding school, I realized I really needed to do some major shopping.

Urgh I hated shopping.

Deciding to move into the attic instead of the guest room, since I couldn't stand the pink and I would kind of get my own place so it was a win-win situation.

After throwing away all of the things I didn't want to keep I started to make a list of all the things I was going to need to renovate the attic to my own room.

First on the list was to ask my dad for permission to renovate it, though we never really used the attic I still had to ask. Then there was paint, different types of furniture like a desk, bed and wardrobe, I would also need new cloths since the temperature and weather here was different from what I was used to.

Ordering most of the things online because I didn't want to spend hours in different stores though it still took quite a long time since the internet is so slow here. I knew I had to go and by cloths in the stores since I had to try them on but I could do that some other day.

After ordering everything I needed, I stared to clean up the mess I had made when I unpacked everything. The door opened and my dad stepped inside.

''I heard you found your old stuff'' he stated, he fiddled with his fingers like if he was nervous. 

“Yeah, I did” I answered not looking up from the snow globs I was carefully packing. “Hey, I’m just wondering if I could make this my room instead of my old room, you know, now that I’m older I would really appreciate the privacy.” I turned my head towards him as I spoke. When I saw that I hadn’t quite convinced him, I added “And that would mean that you and Diane would have the house more to yourself.” 

“Hmm, I guess that would be alright” he said as he turned on the balls of his feet and made a bee-line for the door, obviously uncomfortable with the tension in the air. I would have done the same if I was him. “I almost forgot, I was supposed to tell you that we’re going to have some guests over for dinner.” he said before shutting the door, effectively getting the last word and leaving me without a choice.

-*-*-

As dinner was approaching I had cleaned up the attic, fixed the bathroom connected to the attic and built a temporary hanging device where I hanged all my cloths. Deciding to take a shower since I didn’t want to be sweaty during the dinner I took a quick one and then changed into some appropriate but comfy cloths, fixed my make up and dried my hair.

I could smell the food even before entering the kitchen. My father was making his all time famous steaks while Diane was making a healthy looking salad. Just as I took a seat by the kitchen island the door bell rang and Diane rushed towards the source of the sound. 

I could hear voices greeting each other, it sounded like a male and a female, both middle aged. But there was one more who hadn’t spoken yet, though I could hear him or her shuffle about in our hall. When the third person spoke a shiver ran though my back. 

Oh, no it couldn’t be. 

“How nice to see you again, Logan” the shrill voice of Diane carried all the way to my ears.

Still frozen in the chair, the four moved towards the kitchen until they were all standing the door way. 

“Carter, Emma” my father nodded to the two adults that had enter the kitchen. Emma was my dads old collage girlfriend and her husband Carter had later on gotten to know my father and then my mother. 

“You have grown so much, last time I was you, you barley reached the countertop.” Emma gushed as she awkwardly hugged me form the side releasing even before I had time to react. Carter whom was a man of very few words only nodded towards me. “Logan, what is taking you so long?” Emma now half yelled half spoke down the hall way.

A guy, who could very well be mistaken for an Abercrombie model walked into the kitchen like he owned the place. His eyes scanning the kitchen and greeting my dad before his eyes landed on me a small frown formed on his forehead as he didn’t recognize me.

Emma was the one to break the tension in the air, “Don’t be shy Wini” at the sound of my old nickname a smirk replaced the frown as he now knew how I was. “You remember Logan don’t you?  You two used to be so cute together”

The young man with the smirk, was two years older than me and he had been my childhood crush. I, who though the he was cute then was amazed by how time worked in his favor. He had grown a even more defined jawline and had the most amazing cheekbones. I now realized why I had found the boy playing soccer outside the cafe look familiar, I can’t believe I didn’t know how it was.

“Hello” he said with a deep masculine voice. 

“Hi” was all I managed to say, afraid my voice was going to break if I said anything else. And luckily I didn’t need to, since my father just announced that the dinner was ready. Oh, boy this was going to be an awkward dinner.

°°°Song of the chapter; Everything has changed - Taylor swift