Chapter 5 - What Can You Not Expect?

Two months later,

  If someone that you see and talk to everyday as regular bases  just suddenly goes missing, it's alright to be sick-worried about him/her right? I was verily worried about Zachary. I knew I shouldn't be worried, curious most suiting, but there; I was. He just went missing like that along with his other friends for three straight days. At first, I thought he just got weary with our usual routine. Meeting by my locker and then just bailing to go sit at a concrete bench at the back of the school and do so much as talk.

It was more like I was the one bailing on my friends and his friends were the ones bailing on him. Ian didn't like him. The few times that they literally bumped into each other ended up with a bad clash. He made it more than clear that he doubtlessly loathed him. Zach was fine with him I guess. He didn't take anything to heart from him. I was grateful for that. The rest of the group didn't exactly know him for starters. However, they disliked him because they thought I was growing distant from them because of him, ir so. It wasn't true though. Or at least I thought so. I did avoid lunch time with them, but other than that, I guess it was just as it was before I became on good terms with Zach. It was still normal.

The last Thursday they insisted on a sleepover at my house. I was glad to welcome them all in. It was an ultimate blast. We all enjoyed it. It was supposed to be more like a girls night, but the boys crashed in nonetheless.  I didn't mind it, but the girls rebelled a little. We did the usual a horror movie night, Ian and I conducted a mini-show for them on our favorite song 'Big Girl Now by lady gaga' . It was a humongous joke. They recorded videos that remained as an embarrassing reminder and a life threatening threat.

Now here I was on a Wednesday night eating my nails off like a nervous rat. Do rats even eat their nails? I wouldn't know. I hate animals and what they do to my nose. I reached for the iPod and turned up the volume to the max. I could feel my ears throb, but the song was too good. I started jumping on top of the bed like a maniac.    

I don't know for how long I've been doing this, but I didn't really care either. Though when I felt hands on my waist from behind. I completely froze and stopped singing at once. I was being slowly turned around and I knew exactly what I was going to do. When I knew I could aim now, I kneed whomever it was and threw my arms back, about to throw a punch.

 My arms stopped half way in the air when I saw his face. He held his chin with a hand, his eyes closed tightly and his lips pursed, "Ouch, Ray! You need to stop acting all Jacky Chan's Wife on me!!" he cried.

 I gasped, "My God, Ian! I'm - I didn't know - I was," I couldn't complete one sentence as I drove my hands through my hair. Suddenly it hit me and I scowled at him. "You Idiot! You freaked the schnitzel out of me! What the hell!" I exclaimed.

 His eyes flickered open at once and he stared at me with wide eyes, "oh, no, no, Ray, I'm totally fine, you don't need to worry about me and, oh, please don't apologize," he scoffed and I arched my eyebrows at him before I rolled my eyes.

"I know you're fine," I snapped in irritation. I walked past him and grabbed my backpack that had my homework.

"What the hell is wrong with you today? You've been acting all weird since the morning," He snapped back.

"We're starting with math." I ignored his question.

   Ian exhaled out loudly before he huffed, and he carried on with that for a while. I was fully concentrating on my Algebra problem, but his obvious discomfort was distracting me. Frustrated, I threw the pencil on the desk and turned my chair to face him. He looked up at me with a bored like expression.