Chapter 8 - Not The Time

I just don't get it. What's the big deal in what I did? I was barely looking at him!" Jain screeched walking though the aisle at my opposite side.

"Jain, he'll get over it. Don't be like this," Cass tried to sooth her.

"Jain, don't you think you should have changed that habit of yours by now? I mean; you guys are like totally...In love? Why would you want to--I mean why would you...See--" it was the first sentence that I have attempted to utter about the entire situation--Jain's fight with Dixon because he finally realized she can never quit checking out other guys...even if it totally meant nothing.

  She had been wailing for the past 10min of our Lunch break and I couldn't find the right words. Just like the way I stuttered now. However, she didn't let me complete my half-assed sentence.

"You know me, Ray! It's just in my blood. How could you say that?! Does it only sound right to you if it's the way you think of it?" She bellowed harshly. The way she hitched her voice directly on me made me take a halt and flinch back. Did I hurt her that much? I didn't mean it that way. I was barely muttering what I tried to make sense off. I mean what do I have to do about her and Dixon?

Completely taken aback by her outburst I struggled to form coherent sentences. "Jain," I attempted to reason with her, but Cass cut me off.

"Girls, cool it! Ray, she doesn't mean it. She's just emotional. And You're not helping," Cass hissed the last part to me, glaring at me to try and fix this.

"I'm-I'm sorry Jain. I didn't mean it that way. I was just um..Ugh, why would you care anyway about what I have to say? I'm no one in an acceptable place to give advices. Just forget it. I'm sorry." I apologized genuinely.

Jain's eyes turned soft from angry then quickly turned into blurry, perked up with tears. Just kill me now. Why couldn't I just shut up? With a quick turn she skipped to the rest room, I figured.

"God!" Cass whined. "Ray, I would really want to stay with you, but I need to sooth her," Cass gave me an apologetic look. I gave her a motivating short nod and a meek smile. She returned the smile before she quickly jogged to catch up with Jain.

I stood there frozen weekly concentrating while everything rushed hazily around me. Kids passed by, cheers irrupted loudly, laughter filled the aisle, girls screeches of 'wait for me'--just the ordinary lunch time rush. I stood still thinking deeply; I'm jinxing everything that I tend to fix. It's so, well...jinxed.

I contemplated skipping lunch with the others today. It's not like it would matter. I bail on them every day to go sit all alone like a loner on the field. I bet they wouldn't even realize it if I missed today.

Shaking my head I decided against it. If Jain came out of the cubic with Cass in less than the time I predicted they'd think I was mad at them if I didn't show up. And I wasn't. Honestly. I would take to opportunity to give Dixon a peace of my mind instead.

Picking up my pace again, I started towards the cafeteria in a halfhearted hast. I would sneak after just a couple of minutes like always. Let's just hope Jain doesn't take that long. Thinking about it now, I'd rather she takes only long enough till I'm done with Dixon. He made her cry, and that's not a way I approve of people to treat my friends.

"Hey, D," I greeted him with a slight edge in my voice, plopping beside him on a chair.

He stopped fidgeting idly with the plastic fork that was rolling around the spaghetti on his plate. He looked up at me with a far away expression, "Hmm?"

"I said hey, " I waved my hand between us once for added effects.

"Oh, yeah, hey right back to you," he said with a quick smile.