chapter 2- Stubborn Fugitive

I groaned loudly and fell to the ground in utter helplessness. I'll just have to face the wrath then, I thought, with a hint of despair. I slouched my head back against the edge of the bed and blew a huff. I laid still for a while anticipating foreign help and I thought I'd even fall asleep from exhaustion if a knock haven't sounded, startling me.  I shook the sleep off my eyes quickly in halfhearted guilt and got up to get the door.

  "Come in," I sighed in relief looking up at him instead of my parents.

  "There waiting at the lobby. What's taking you so long?" he said moving in the single bed room that I was fitted in for the next three days for a justificating goodbye summer vacation trip.

  He plopped himself on my bed and eyed the mess I made in between and on the sheets; tweezers, pins, bobby clips and even a knife. It was all of absolute no use.

  "Again, huh?" he looked up at me with a smile, his grey eyes glistering with the effective bright light that hung on top of him. I looked down to my feet, biting the insides of my cheek to suppress a smile. He knew all too well. Being stuck with me for years, he'll for sure know.

  It's not that I was careless or anything, but things really just disappear to nothingness when you hand them over to me and actually expect me to take care. And those damned little keys always vanished, getting me in trouble three times in row now. Why my mom insisting I fasten my luggage with padlocks before traveling was one thing, but understanding why she insisted to make me take care of the keys myself was just beyond me. She knew all too well what a klutz I could be, too.

  My long-time best friend, Ian, shook his head, though still smiled and got to work with my bag, saving me from a give-out session from my mother--if she had found out again--that I was so not up for.

"This one's different this time," he stated while looking through the mess in the bed for something to work with.

  "I know. I could have done it myself but it's too thick and long. I don't know what happened to the old ones," I referred to the key shape and slid down beside him observing the way he worked in contained frustration. Just when I had started to learn on the old ones, she decided on a new type. I knew Ian could do it tough, nonetheless. He was like a tamed delinquent if that makes sense. He knew all about such troubles somehow, though he still managed the two-goody-shoes act allright.

  I got fitted in decent clothes for the night quickly after Ian had unlocked the lock and skipped to them downstairs. I started through the isle and elevators appreciating the posh texture of the hotel. I wanted to skip on the dinner with the parents badly for a tour around, but I was sure I didn't have an option.

  Incoherent chattering filled the crowded space along with plates and the dinning utensils rattling, blending awfully with the eccentric choice of music that was playing softly as a background. I had completely lost my appetite, but I suppressed my despair for the sake of my family.

  I figured they were having a relieving night with my sister and Ian's father. It had been a while, since Annabelle was here, for her college was states away from home. Ian's father wasn't much of an outgoing person, but he joined us for the trip for my sister reunion sake. It wasn't that I wasn't excited about seeing her, but we already had our fair share of conversing the entire trip here. We did average talks, but let's be real, how many sane people can keep up with their siblings and be nice for too long?

  Just to add up to my discomfort, there topic was somewhere along business and finance. The way every one perked their ears and conversed like it was the most alluring topic, had me sulking back in my seat and suppressing a sigh while stabbing on a delicious lobster that somehow failed to get my stomach rumbling today.