Chapter 20: New Beginnings

Max held his eyes on the road. His hands were held tightly around the steering wheel. His jaw was clenched tight.

I imagined that he must have been in pain from whatever my "mom" threw at us.

My tears rolled down my face at a constant rate. They stained my stinging cheeks as they fell. Every now and then I'd choke up on my tears and felt as if though the walls were closing in on me.

Bear sat unhappily in my lap as he watched the trees blur by out the window. He whipped his tail back and forth unrecognizing the landscape before him.

I winced slightly when a hand rested softly on my thigh. I turned to Max and he let out a weary, reassuring smile. I couldn't smile back, though I wanted to, I just couldn't.

I closed my eyes shut and began to drown out all my surroundings as I wept softly. I wished my life was normal. If I had a normal boyfriend and a normal mom then life wouldn't be so hard. But then again I thought about Max. He was a perfect boyfriend. Slightly different from a typical one but perfect through my eyes.

I slowly drifted away and let sleep over come me.

~dream~

"Where are you my darling," a honey tinted voice rang through the house.

"Mommy!" I giggled gleefully. I was hiding in the upper cabinet in the kitchen. My adrenaline was rushing and my heart was quickly beating.

"I wonder where she could be," she sounded close to my hiding spot. I couldn't contain my laughter very well.

The door swung open, "Gotcha!"

I screamed as she brought her hands to my side and submerged me with tickles. "Mommy," I said between laughter, "Mommy, stop!"

She carefully pulled me out from the cabinet and braced me in a hug. "I love you," she squeezed me.

"I love you too mommy."

~end of dream~

"Danielle, wake up," Max said softly shaking my shoulders.

I groggily opened my eyes. "Where are we?" I yawned. We were in a small infirmary. I was laying on a hospital bed. My wound was wrapped tightly.

"A place I didn't want to return to," Max said. "Home."

"Oh," I said as I sat up.

"Oh no you don't," Max gestured for me to lay back down. "You'll rip out the stitches."

"Stitches?" My eyes went wide. The image of needles impaling my skin made me gag.

"Yeah, twenty of them."

"What about you? Are you hurt?" I frantically asked.

"I am fine." I lifted up his shirt to make sure. "I promise."

"What happened to the marks?" I asked confused.

"Angie, our local doctor, pulled out the silver fragments and since I am a werewolf, I healed completely within thirty minutes."

"Ah, I see," I said not understanding completely. Wait, where did bear go? I said to myself.

"He's over in the kids area, most likely being tormented." he laughed. Which made me extremely mad.

I sat up again this time not letting Max stop me.

"Where do you think you are going?" Max held his arm out in front of me.

"To the kids area." I pushed his arm away from me. "And I have no idea where it is, but I will find it."

Max let out a growl, which made me jump slightly.

I felt as if he where going to say something around the lines of, "You shall not pass!" instead he just watched me go.

I smiled to myself and walked out of the infirmary. As I embraced the cold air I took in the sight of a meadow. With large houses spread evenly with probably an acre between each one. In the far north of the meadow sat a the largest log cabin I had ever seen.

"I'm guessing that's not the kids area," I laughed uneasily.

"Hi!"

I jumped. A little boy around the age of seven greeted me. He had bright blue eyes and blond hair.

"I am Calvin," he smiled. "By the smell of you, you must be Max's"

"Max's?" I questioned him.

"I don't know," he exclaimed, "you just smell like him."

"Is that a good or a bad thing?" I asked.

"I don't know?!" he yelled a bit aggravated. "I'm the kid, shouldn't I be asking all the questions?"

"I guess...?" I responded, laughing slightly.

He sighed. "Now, what is your name?"

"Danielle," I smiled slightly.

"Well it's nice to meet you Danielle."

"Like wise. Could you possibly tell me where the kids area is?"

His eyes widened slightly. "Um, over this way."

I followed closely behind him. I felt eyes glued to the back of me. I turned my head to see a very annoyed Max trailing behind.

"Oh, so now you join me," I rolled my eyes.

"I didn't want you to break your stitches," he started. "Plus I don't want you to get any more hurt."

I smiled and held out my hand for him to grab it. As he grasped it he let out a smile.

We had finally made it to the "kids area". It looked nothing like a kids area. More like a m.m.a. training facility.

My poor cat was trembling in the rafters above all the kids. Ten kids, all armed with rubber-bands shooting my poor cat.

My insides started to boil. "Quit it!" I yelled, it just so happened to be the loudest yell I had ever unleashed.

The kids dropped their weapons and cowered behind Max.

"That was your first impression to these kids Danielle," I said to myself, "You blew it."

I climbed up to the rafters and pride bear's claws from the wood. With him securely in my sweatshirt I maneuvered down quicker then I came up.

The kids stared at me with awe.

"Now excuse me, I have to go and find a peaceful and quiet place for my cat to return to his happy state."

-------------}--------------------------

Hey guys! How's it going?

It's short like always but at least I tried!

Well if you don't mind me asking how do you like this book so far? Please leave suggestions or anything in the comments below.

I do try and respond to every comment. :)

Vote

Comment

Fan

Love,

HeyImSasha

} Why was six afraid of seven? Cause seven ate nine! {

-----------------------------

Copyrighted Material

All Rights Reserved

-----------------------------