Prologue

This is a Pin and story, all from Katies point of view unless it says other wise. This is my first story, so I am doing a lot of experements. I am also pretty immersed in horses, so if I think a word wouldn't make sense to a normal person, I will asterisk* it, and the definition will be at the end of the chapter. Thanks and I hope you enjoy it.

You know, I've lived on this island my entire life, and never gone anywhere but my familys property, which is not very big in the first place, and the town, but only on rare occasions. I think it's time I started to live a little. Its not that I don't want to, it's just that I've never been able to, until now. You see my mum died a few months ago, it didn't hit me very hard, because we were never really close. She would always be working, would be gone before I got up, home only for about an hour before bed. But all she would do in that time was drink. Also, I found out after she died, that she would take a very large flask to work and refill it with her stash in the office twice a day, I dont think she ever drank a drop of water. This had been going on for about 5 years, it all started after she got promoted. So my dad and I were both waiting for it to kill her, and it finally did.

I am glad that she is gone, not in a I hated her kind of way, just that she needed to go, it was unfixable and my dad and I were both dragged down by her. You might be wondering why I never left the house, well, its because I was homeschooled. Because my mum had the job she did, my dad never had to work, so he stayed home and just homeschooled me. I also didn't need anything that was outside of the house, so there was no reason to leave. But now that she is gone, my dad has started working and I will be starting public school tommorow. Am I scared? Not at all, I've always wanted to go to public school, I've just never had the chance. I think it will be fun, and it will be good for me to meet new people and make friends, because right now, my only friend is my cat, Angel.