THREE+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song--------}

THREE+

The police questioned Levi and his mother for hours and he had given them all the information he could share. He had given them the card and a description of the serial killer they were all looking for, Bunny Face. Apparently two days before killing Levi’s father she had also killed a father and husband in the next town over. This didn’t surprise Levi, he had seen the news report but his mother had gone into another fit of tears at the revelation.

His mother, despite the abuse apparently still loved the man who had tortured them most of their lives making Levi feel disgust for the woman who bore him. Still he held her as she sobbed for a man he had prayed to meet some untimely demise for years now. His father, Jerry Newman, wasn’t a man most people would mourn. He was a bully, an instigator and a downright asshole in Levi’s opinion. He’d always been a mean son of a bitch and Levi no matter how much he tried, couldn’t feel any sense of grief. In fact he was happy the man was dead, nearly cut to piece by the strange creature in the rubber white rabbit mask.

When they had the funeral three days later Levi didn’t do much but chain smoke and hold back his smirks as the coffin lowered. His mother was a mess, sobbing and asking god why he had taken her husband. Levi fought the urge to flick his lit cigarettes at her as she carried on in her normally dramatic fashion.

A dark part of him, the one that seemed to fester under his morality regretted not letting Bunny Face kill her. Then he would be free to live a life without having to deal with the shitty mother fate had given him. No, he was seventeen, nearly eighteen and when he did graduate high school he’s be out of this town so fast he’s break necks.

That was his goal now, getting the hell out of this town.

Another two days after the funeral he was back at school, a place he hated as much as he had hated home. They say kids are cruel and with Levi that was true. People made fun of him for his bruises, his habit of wearing hoodies to try and cover them and his lack of money. He’d gotten in more fights than he bothered to count and on rare occasion even won. Making this worse when he had been caught digging food out of the trashcan because his father hadn’t let him eat for three days he was called ‘Raccoon Boy’. This was made worse by the black eyes he often sported as well.

Yeah, kids could be cruel and Levi knew that first hand.

The bastards.

Still, when he arrives at school, something seems different. He could feels eyes on him and since his father horrifically murdered he’s assumed it has to do with that. It doesn’t. Apparently there’s a new girl who has arrived that morning and if rumors were true she’s be caught staring…at him. He doesn’t know what the fuck that means but he doesn’t bother even worrying about it.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t the murderer.” A voice taunts.

Levi rolls his eyes but doesn’t raise his head from his book. He really isn’t in the mood for this bullshit. He’s got better things to do, like smoking a cigarette and maybe listening to music in his room alone. Yeah, that sounds infinitely better this.

“Fuck off, Danny.” He sighs.

His book is suddenly ripped from his grasp and thrown down the hallway as two other guys yank him to his feet. Levi doesn’t even struggle against their hold as they pull him into the boy’s locker room, he knows better than that. Meeting the sneer of the local blockhead, Danny Stevens, Levi isn’t impressed. He’s seen worse, been beaten by worse and still lived to tell the tale. This idiotic jock isn’t anything Levi should worry about.