008

Cason and August were home alone. August and Cason were at odds over a small matter that occurred on school grounds. Cason had an incident that day with diamond Marcia not that he couldn't defend himself, but because of August, they both got in trouble for August beating Diamond bloody. Luckily August's father bought their way out of trouble but Cason did not feel as if it was right for August to jump in the way that he did.

"I helped you! I thought you would thank me!" August yelled.

"Helped me? Because of you, Diamond will only get worse. Now he thinks you are my protector!"

"Cason, you idiot I don't care. As long as diamond picks on you I will be there."

"You are only making things worse, August."

"I don't care. They can keep coming I won't let them hurt you anymore!"

Cason crossed his arms. Hee felt like August thought he was weak.

"I can protect myself I don't need you. why do you care so much?"

" Because I care about you, you idiot!"

°°°

August pushed himself off the floor. He was so hurt, but he couldn't blame Cason. After all, it was all his fault, the things he said hit home and he could not even deny them all. He grabbed the handle of the door, he thought Cason's first question would be how he got in.

"Why did you come back?" Cason asked.

August looked into Cason's eyes. His brow arched high, he could see that Cason was desperate. August wanted to fix this. He wanted to build again with Cason to make it up to him. He knew how much pain he had caused and he blamed himself every day, for betraying him the way that he did. He has been through enough his life was complicated already and all he did was make it so much worse on him. He knew things would not return to his they once were but he could try to fix it.

He could tell him he came back because he missed him. Though August missed Cason the second he left. He could tell him he returned because he regretted what he did, but he already knows. He could say it was that he had to. That was not enough. It could not explain the whole truth in the right words. There is only one. August knew Cason all of his life, he was the one person on his mind all of the time. Even when he was not with Cason, he felt like he was always there. Like a feeling. The feeling that someone has their eyes on you, or something approaching and you know it. something in the water.

"You idiot, Cason." August began.

Cason became defensive again. He was jumping back and forth between sympathy. Hope. Anger. He wanted to accept August so badly, but he went through so much pain he was stuck in believing August would hurt him again. He wanted to reach out to buy him to kiss him to hold him. He was hurt before and he did not want anyone in to do it again.

"Don't" Cason muttered.

August knew what he and Cason had was not just any relationship. He knew they had a connection. He knew what they had together was special. It was the type of bond you had to really look for. He was not ready to give that up. He looked for love most of his life and the entire time it was right there. He found love where it was not supposed to be, and he was grateful. He and Cason were supposed to figure it out together. August was not as brave as Cason was, so he ran away from his problems like he always does.

"I left because I did not want to go any further. I was scared of my whole world changing so suddenly and instead of trying to figure it all out I ran away from it. Then I found out I couldn't; it follows me. Cason, I missed you, every day. I could not explain how hard it was, thinking that you would be with someone else. I tried to move on I really did. I couldn't forget you. I can't help it I just--" August took a long pause. Watching Cason break down. He felt horrible, August looked at Cason as if he had just fine the worst thing a man could do. Cason's lips dropped into a frown as his chin shriveled up and tears traveled his skin like a river. Completely torn apart. "Cason I love you. I always have even before I knew what it meant and I always will."

Cason dropped to his knees, finally hearing the words he dreamed of. Only the way he pictured the scene playing out was much more romantic. He buried his face between his knees. He gave up, trying to put up a fight. He just cried and cried. All he could think about was crying. He felt a bold on his organs a hand on his heart just squeezing. It hurt much more than he ever anticipated. Ugly sobs echoed through the room.

Cason was too deep that when August dropped down to hold him, he didn't fight back. He could not admit it, but he wanted to forgive August with everything he had done. He wanted August despite everything he put him through. Forget morals and what he deserves. He wanted him, and it was so long since he made a decision to make himself happy. He was selfless for so long it was about time he got to be selfish. Cason turned on the floor to bury his face in August's chest. He gripped on August's shirt tugging him. Pulling him closer. August thought he saw the devil. Looking in the mirror. A drop of rum on his tongue. With a warning to help him see himself clearer. He never meant to start a fire; he never meant to make Cason bleed.

"Cason, I'll be good. I'll be better. I'll fix this."

Authors Note

One more chapter and this story will be done. Yes if you noticed I incorporated Jaymes Young's - I'll Be Good, lyrics into the story because that's basically what I based the stories plot off of. Also the "I Found" lyrics from Amber Run because that was a big inspiration as well.