(29) Going In Circles

Chapter Twenty Nine

My heart thumps inside my chest as Stayton blinks once, then twice and looks around him, confusion clear on his face. "Where—" A coughing fit cuts him off. Alarm trickles down my spine when I realize he coughs up blood. He looks at his bloody hand in puzzlement, "What?"

No one answers him and he doesn’t even really seem to see us. I watch him as he looks at his hands but something seems wrong. His eyes aren’t as bright as I remember. He looks around the room and finally seems to see us, "Wait," he says in alarm while looking between Kent, Clyde, Nadine then finally at me, "How am I here?"

I hold my breath as he looks at me, his eyes boring into mine then he looks away. I let my breath out in a puff as he looks at Kent who’s frowning, "You don’t remember?" He asks incredulously.

Stayton goes to shake his head but gasps instead and his eyes are filled with so much pain it breaks my heart just to look at him. Then, without giving any warning Stayton sits up and I’m sure everyone’s face is mimicking mine; clear astonishment.

"Stayton—" I start. He glares at me and I instantly snap my mouth shut. You know, I thought that our little reunion thing would be hugs and kisses, not death glares.

"I’m fine." He says, though his voice is extremely hollow, and a little breathless.

Everyone watches as he looks down at his chest and his mouth becomes a ‘O’. He looks up, "Where did that come from?" He asks, his voice becoming even more breathless with each word.

Kent takes a slow step forwards, his face not revealing anything, "We think it was a wolf," he gives Stayton a sideways glance, "What’s the last thing you remember?"

I hold my breath, would if he doesn’t remember me? Of course, I know how silly that is but I can’t help worrying.

Stayton looks at him and something about it screams: Danger! Not in a physical way, the look just doesn’t look like Stayton. He looks . . . like he’s in intense pain. "Going to look for you in the hall." He says quietly and I get the horrible feeling that he’s not meaning to be quiet.

"But that was last night." Clyde says softly, "And it’s about three in the afternoon now. You were gone for awhile, Stayton. And you don’t remember anything?"

Only three? It feels likes days ago that I was learning with Raphael and Nadine, but it was just this morning.

"I . . ." Stayton starts but before he can get his whole sentence out he slumps backwards on the bed and just lies there; his chest barely moving. Panic surges through me as blood flows from both wounds on his chest, staining the mattress.

"Someone do something!" I shriek while turning on Nadine, "Fix him!"

She frowns, "But I did fix him. From the poison. I can’t do anything about the other stuff. I’m not that good."

I open my mouth to snap at her but Kent cuts us off, "Stayton?"

Stayton peeks at him with one annoyed emerald eye and I feel the sudden urge to giggle. The movement is so Stayton it’s funny. "What?" He growls.

Kent smiles slightly, clearly relieved to see him acting like a jerk. I’ve got to say I'm glad about it too, "How are you feeling?"

Stayton closes his eye and a small smile appears on his lips except it’s anything but happy, "I feel like someone took a knife and cut me up on the inside."

I frown; I don’t want him to be in pain. "But how do you feel? Drowsy at all?" Kent asks and I stare at him. Why would it matter if he feels drowsy?