(23) Blast from the Past

Chapter Twenty Three

Stayton. Stayton. Stayton. What’s going to happen to him? How can Isaac be such a cruel hearted jerk? He seemed so nice, so friendly when he was British. Maybe that’s the problem. When he’s Isaac he’s the big boss jerk and when he’s British he’s my hot British friend . . . who wants to see me tomorrow.

My hands curl into fists at my sides. Oh, I am so going to see him tomorrow except i’m not going to be the fun loving cheerful Bethany. Oh heck no, I’m going to be the biotch who just got her mother and dude taken away from her. I will get them both back and I’ll find out answers while I’m at it.

"Bethany? Bethany!" Someone yells in my ear and I turn around and get ready to scratch their face off but when I see that it’s just Nick I lower my hand and blink a couple times. "What?" I say a little too rudely.

Nick gives me a concerned look, "you were screaming. Hardcore."

My cheeks blaze red and I look down, "Sorry. I was scared."

"Would someone like to explain what just happened in there?" Shay screams while storming up to us and putting her hands on her hips and I can’t help but smile. She’s trying so hard to be intimidating it’s just funny. Shay turns her glare onto me, "Bethany, please. Explain to me what just happened."

My smile falls off my lips and I look at Kent; begging him to just tell her. He gives me a half smile then looks back at Shay, "I’ll explain everything to you later, okay?" He says while giving her a stern nod; indicating that there will be no further conversation on it. Shay just huffs and crosses her arms across her chest while glaring at the ground.

"Where is Miranda?" Dad screams while pushing his way into the group and giving everyone frantic looks, "where is she?" He screams again when no one answers. Dad then starts freaking out and screaming and yelling at Kent like it’s his fault she’s gone. "Your buddy is gone! Who says he didn’t take Miranda?"

"Dad, stop it." I whisper while holding back tears and everyone looks at me. Dads face crumbles and he pulls me into a tight hug while stroking my hair. The tears start to flow from my eyes and I bury my head in his shoulder and grip him tight; scared that if I let go he’ll disappear forever.

A couple minutes later I step out of dads embrace and wipe at my eyes and look out over everyone. I meet all of their eyes and give them each a small smile but when my eyes land on the door I feel like crying again but I hold the tears back and try to act strong.

I can show you something.

Isaac whispers and I get this funny tickling sensation in my mind and an image of a work building flashes; replacing the stone walls. Before I even have a chance to ask Isaac anything I’m engulfed into darkness and then everything explodes around me.

I watch as I'm all of a sudden transported to the building Isaac flashed at me before and I look around me in confusion. The building is nice; it’s like the regular work buildings with the offices and all that jazz except something about this building strikes me as odd—dangerous.

"Do you know where we are?" I jump as Isaac all of a sudden pops up beside me.

I shake my head. "No."

"I didn’t think so." He says while folding his arms across his chest, "We’re in the building I work in."

I make a face. "You work in a business building? I thought you’d work in something off of a horror movie with cobwebs everywhere."