49- Let The Day Begin

Chapter 49 | Let The Day Begin

Qotc is who is your favorite ship in a book you've read? Mine is Peeta × Katniss.
~~~~~~~~~

"My one and only mother that I love to the moon and back, just remember I'm your only daughter that you love so so so so so much," I cajole sweetfully. I'm preparing to ask her a question I'm sure she will deny, so I might as well get on her good side to increase any chances I have.

My mom purses her lips, arching a single brow to let me know she's aware something's up. Dangit, I knew that approach might not have been the most subtle.

"What do you want Kirsten?"

She sighs, crossing her arms across her chest as she leans against the tight doorway to my room. She had come here just recently, wondering why I hadn't been getting ready for a day at pris― I mean school.

"Is there any chance that I could possibly, only for today, not go to school today?" I plead, sticking out my bottom lip in a pathetic expression. It usually works for dad, but my mom is a tougher shell to crack.

"Why do you feel like you need to? Did something happen between you and a friend?" She asks skeptically, both of her eyebrows now raised. Fine worry lines crease her forehead, making her seem older than she is.

In all truth, the reason I don't want to go is because I'm not up for any social interaction. I also only slept like, 2  hours last night in total, making it impossible for my brain to muster any energy for learning. I'd be a walking zombie if I went.

But of course, I can't tell her these reasons. I can't be selfish. She needs to focus on herself.

Even though her hunch technically is right, I prepare myself to deny it. Discreetly gritting my teeth, I force lie number one of the day to come out of my mouth.

"No, nothing happened, but―"

She cuts me off, pushing further. "Did you break any rules at school?"

Somewhat irritated by an interrogation this early in the morning, especially without coffee, my nose begins to wrinkle. Yes, I had left the school building without permission, but I can't tell you that.

At least she's buying my fibs for once. It might've been just by chance, or maybe I'm getting better at the lying game. If I am, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Insert lie number two.

"Why would I do that? No that's not it, I-"

She suddenly gasps, throwing her hand over her mouth. The unexpected action gives me a mini heart attack, causing me to flinch in surprise.

"Kirsten Lorena Blair, are you hung over?!"

My eyes bulge out of their sockets as she accuses me of this. For a second, I'm speechless; clueless on how to react. Who does she think I am? I don't think a drop of alcohol has touched my lips in all the years I've lived.

Sensing my hesitation, her bright blue eyes identical to mine narrow.
"So you are."

I give her an are-you-serious-right-now expression before opening my mouth to answer. At least I don't have to lie about this reply.

"Mom!" I exclaim, "Of course not!"

She raises her hands in surrender, keeping her calculating gaze on mine. "Just checking."

I can't believe that just happened. All I'm doing is trying to get out of a day at school. Dragging my hand down the entire length of my face, I steer our conversation back on course.