11- I'm Sorry

Chapter 11 | I'm Sorry

~~~~~~~~

We were all told to go to detention after school, and I am freaking out as I begin to walk to my fourth hour: Math. I've never had detention before, and I'm certainly not ready for what's to come. To add to that, if my parents find out about this, I'm so dead.

"Hey, are you okay?"

I've been asked that question way too many times for it to be normal, and it is actually getting kind of old as I hear it almost every hour from each of my friends.

I stop in my tracks. "My answer isn't going to change anytime soon," I blurt with the shake of my head, looking over at the person who had asked me. I expect it to be one of the boys, being they are in my next hour, but instead I am met with the gaze of unfamiliar amber eyes.

The eyes belong to a boy about my age. He has shaggy hair that is the multiple shades lighter than mine, and he wears a plain black V-neck, finishing the look with faded jeans and Nikes.

Overall, he looks... what's the word? Nice? Hot? Good-looking? All of those things qualify, but I think the word Taylor would make me use to describe him would be,

Cute.

"I'm Chance," he introduces, gesturing to himself with a playful courteous bow.
"And what's going on with a pretty lady like you?"

Quite obviously this man is the flirty type of guy. I had a crush way back when in Miami that sort of reminded me of him. He was what one could call a ladies man, that was for sure. I could tell this boy might not be any different by his behavior.

For some reason, I'm compelled to answer. "Detention," I sigh, shifting my things to my other arm so I can grab a lock of my long hair that had fallen into my face and pull it out of my line of sight. Despite my efforts, it sways right back to where it started, irritating me to no end.

"Let me get that for you," Chance says, gingerly reaching over and gently pushing the stubborn piece of hair behind my ear. My heartbeat begins to race as he does this, but I manage to keep a neutral face as I continue to stare forwards.

Once he pulls his hand away, I deem it safe for me to speak. "So what class do you have?" I ask, attempting to start a small conversation between us. It works, but it's the worst question I could've asked.

"I'm in your class."

Could this get anymore awkward?

"Oh, sorry," I profusely apologize, my features guilty as my eyes train to the floor.

He shrugs his shoulders nonchalantly. "It's fine, I didn't expect such a pretty girl to notice me anyways."

I attempt to hide the major blush starting at the tips of my ears by pretending something catches my attention from the opposite direction and soon my whole face is flushing red in a matter of a couple more seconds.

"Well uh maybe we could hang out sometime? Like together? You know, er, so then I'll notice you more."

Smooth Kirsten, very smooth.

He chuckles lightly, waiting for me to return his gaze again to answer.

He opens the door to our class, stepping behind me and motioning for me to walk through the door like a gentlemen. I gladly do after a light hearted snort, but the suspense on what his answer is going to be is internally killing me.

Luckily, I don't have to wait too long. "Why, of course. I'd love to actually get to know you. Meet you at the roller rink at seven?" He asks, ruffling his hair as he draws his hand through its depths. He doesn't give me a chance to confirm or decline, simply strolling over to where he must've sat yesterday and leaving me by my seat.