the game

(early update? I think yes.)

I talked to Lauren about the whole situation until the last bell rang, signaling I had to get ready for the game. I climbed down the building ladder with one hand as I was still talking to Lauren on the phone.

"Get ready Lauren. I have to get ready!"

"I am ready and you can FaceTime me, I could see you shirtless" I swear I've never been breathless from words. Also what the fuck she is driving me

"Where has innocent Lauren gone! Also yes, the closest you will get is me shirtless, for your information!" Lucky the hallway had been empty at this point so nobody was around to hear this conversation, besides teacher.

"Never been innocent, just in hiding. Also you shirtless is hot so if I can see that again I would love that."

"Okay horndog calm dog, you'll see me in like 2 hours unless you come to see me warm up, which isn't me warming up, just me talking to people for like 45 minutes." I joked as I pushed open the locker room door with my right hand

"Well I guess I'll see you in like a hour and 30 minutes?"

"Smart idea" I smuggle said in the phone as I opened up my locker and grabbed my cleats, socks, softball pants, and belt.

I sat on the bleachers as I finished the conversation and not long after hung up and changed. I didn't put on the cleats because walking on anything other than a field with cleats makes for broken eardrum and ankles.

I ran out to my car with my cleats and grabbed my catchers duffle bag. I started walking to the feild, taking my time because you know, that me. After taking a 5 minutes walk when it should have taken maybe a minute. I ended up at the feild, I wasn't even the last person so I rolled my eyes and put on my all black cleats. I threw my duffle bag against the wall and ran out on the feild, shaking the opponents coaches hands.

It's what I do before ever game, it's a game but every team my school play treats the coaches like shit. I talked to them for a little bit until I had to warm up, they patted my back and said told me to stay safe. I did my normal game day running, stretching and throwing with the team and got called to warm up the pitcher.

We did that for about 20 minutes with a few bad pitches but luckily for us it was one of her good days. She told me she was good so I got up but being stopped by one of the other teams coach walked over to me and I furrowed my brow.

"Your the only catcher in highschool I've seen throw you mask off still? How do you do it with sunglasses in your mask? " I smiled at him and took off my mask flipping around.

"I customized it, I have slits at the sides right here so when I  flip my mask my sunglasses will stay on instead of going with the mask. Visors give pitchers to much of a reflection. There is so much more of a science behind this game then you think"

I handed him my mask and lead him to the empty dugout, pulling out another one, a older one. I switched them "you can have that one, I know you run a camp during the summer for girl. Do whatever you want with it, it's yours."

"Would you volunteer for it, we need some?" I saw the smile on that guys face and I remembered being a little girl with so many issues falling in love with the game.

"Yeah I would do anything to help, sign me right up. Talk to me after the games sir. Thank you" I shook his hand as I saw his assistant coach showed up. He smiled, "Your good kid, I've seen you play, extremely good. Coming from a retired MLB Catcher"

I swallowed deeply as he patted my back and walked out. He fucking looked familiar, I knew it, he had the camp for a reason. I started shaking, he liked my equipment. My coaches thought it was stupid, holy shit I need to tell someone.