Chapter 12

Taylor and I planned for the kids to have a 'play date' because they won't stop asking us if they can see each other. We decided to not tell them because it's more fun that way. We planned for Wednesday, which is today, after school.

Today feels like it's taking forever to get through but it's finally lunch. Elle has spent the past 10 minutes talking to me about her long time boyfriend.

"What about you? Have you seen that guy yet?" Elle asked me.

"Not since Sunday but we're going to his place today so the kids can play"

"Yeah.. so the kids can play.." She put emphasis on kids and used air quotes. "I'm so happy for you" I gave her a look of concern and asked why. "You're happy. You took 6 months to get out and you ended up with some amazing guy. He makes you so undeniably happy and it's just really good to see. I wish you would at least tell me his name though"

"Thanks Elle. I'm not with him but I get what you mean. You will know one day and if things work out, you might actually get to meet him."

She kept asking what my 'guy' looks like and what his personality is like. I told her he's goofy but a really good role model for his kids. I told her he loves music and that he is really musically talented. I told her he was a few years older than me and that he's been divorced for about a year.

"He sounds perfect for you Rose!"

We checked the time and noticed there's only about 5 minutes till the end of lunch break so we left and made our way to our classes. I checked my phone while I was walking and was pleased to see a text from Taylor.

"Hope work is good. What time will you and the gang be over?"

I replied, telling him about 4. Today's meet up is for the kids, not us but I can't wait. There's something about seeing him live a normal life that I appreciate so much. Just because he's a musician doesn't mean his life varies much to anyone else's. He's a normal dad that goes through the same struggles as any other divorced parent.

As soon as work finished, I found Elle to say bye and then left to pick up the kids from school. They go to a different school to which I work at because a few years ago I got a better job opportunity which meant moving work location. It was to much of a struggle to move the kids because they already had friends. Lucky for Michael and I, it's easier this way with our situation.

After I picked up Alex and Izzy we got some snacks and headed over to Taylor's. When we knocked on the door, it only took a few seconds until the door was open. Shane had opened the door and welcomed us in. Alex and Izzy went straight upstairs with Shane and Anabelle, saying hi to Taylor as they ran past. Taylor stood up off of the couch when I came up to him and he kissed me on the cheek. He offered me a drink but I didn't take it, he got himself one instead. I looked around the room.

"Where's Everleigh?"

"Oh fuck! I must have left her at the school when I picked up Shane and Anabelle."

"Real funny, you definitely got me that time." I said in monotone and shaking my head.

"She's having a rest."

"Oh you should've told me to tell the kids to keep it down"

"Nah it's fine. She's a Hawkins, she can sleep through anything." We laughed and sat down on the couch. We decided to watch a movie while the kids were playing. Today, we went with Almost Famous. Best movie ever!

Unconsciously, during the movie, I leant onto Taylor's chest and he lifted his arm and wrapped it around me. I could feel his warmth through his shirt. About half way through the movie, the boys came down to get something to eat and drink. I sat up so I wasn't on Taylor anymore.

"What are you watching dad?" Shane asked and Taylor told him. Alex stood next to Shane just looking at me. He looked sad, I could tell he was thinking about what he saw. Shane turned around and ran back upstairs.

"Come on Alex" Alex ran behind Shane. I lowered my head into my hands and I slowly felt my eyes fill. Taylor paused the movie and I felt him move closer towards me and wrap his arm over my back. He kissed my head and rested his chin where he kissed. I fell into his chest and he just held me as I was crying. He told me everything will be okay, whispering it into my ear. His touch and voice seemed to calm me down. When I stopped, I looked at Taylor and he looked concerned.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I nodded and shifted a little on the couch.

"Alex didn't even know what to say to me. It's like seeing you and I on the couch made him so confused or upset that he was speechless. We haven't really talked about Michael and I for 5 months and that was just because it was all changing. I don't know if they know that 'daddy's friend' is actually 'daddy's girlfriend'. I don't know if they had some kind of hope that we would be a happy family, together again. I don't know what I'm meant to say to them. I didn't think much of us and telling them because I've been so caught up in the moment and I mean we aren't 'together' so there's nothing really to say but, what if they don't like you. I mean they love you now but there's nothing stopping them from hating us together. I just want them to be happy, they deserve it." I took in a deep breath and went to continue but Tay interrupted me.

"But what about you? You deserve to be happy to. You have to think about yourself as well."

"I- I know but they're my kids. If they're happy, I'm happy. I'm probably just overthinking this whole situation. I'll talk to Alex tonight."

"Good. Do you want to continue the movie?" I nodded and he squeezed me in a tight hug. When we pulled apart, we stared into each others eyes. We got closer and shared a quick kiss before playing the movie.

We watched the rest of the movie in silence. The only time we spoke was when we were either singing along to Tiny Dancer or saying what they were saying in the movie. We caught each other glancing over at the other a few times and would laugh. Everleigh woke up just as the movie was ending. Taylor went up to get her and I waited on the couch. When they came down, Everleigh smiled at me and sat between Taylor and I. We sat there till the end of movie playing with Everleigh, gosh she's just so damn cute. I miss having a little person around the house.

We hadn't even noticed the movie finish because we were both so focused on Everleigh. We tried to make her laugh any way we could think to, she has the cutest laugh. Every time she would laugh, Taylor and I would look at each other. I don't know what it was but something about sharing this moment with Taylor was making me want this with him. A part of me wants this to be a daily occurrence.

I bought myself back to reality and realised the time. I went upstairs to let the kids know we have to leave.

"Alex, buddy, time to go." He still said nothing to me.

"Izzy, babe, lets go." She looked to Anabelle and asked for 5 more minutes. "You know you can't, it's Wednesday and you know what that means!"

"Dad!! Okay I'm coming." Wednesday afternoons is face time night for the kids. Every Wednesday at 6 when they're with me they use my phone to facetime Michael and vice versa when they're with Michael.

Alex and Izzy said goodbye to everyone and ran out to the car. I told Taylor we had to leave and although he wasn't too pleased, I kissed him on the cheek and left.

I haven't been writing as much due to personal reasons, there's a lot going on at the moment so uploads may be more irregular. I might take a break in a few weeks due to exams and graduation but yeh just a heads up!

I still have plenty of ideas for this story so don't worry!! It's not going to end just yet ❤️❤️