Chapter Five: First Day (editing)

I hear a buzzing noise in my ear early Monday morning. I look over to see my cell phone going crazy. Not knowing why I grab it and see 'three new messages' flash across the screen. I click the view button and see one new message from Owen, one from Nichole, and one from Ivy. 

Ivy's message says 'Hey! I miss you. How's NC? Running away yet? Txt me.' I laugh to myself. Ivy knows I have a difficult relationship with my parents, so before I left Ivy and her family offered to lend me there guest room for the summer so I wouldn't have to leave home. My parents rejected their offer which didn't surprise me one bit, but that's probably why she asked if I ran away yet. I text Ivy back with a message that says, 'Hey, missing you too! NC is all right, nice people! Nope, haven’t run away yet.' When sent flashes across the screen I go back and look at Nichole's message next. 

'Hey, see you at work! When does your shift start?' the message says. I push reply and type, 'my shift is from 2-6'. I push send and go back to the last message from Owen. It reads 'Good luck on your first day!! : D’ I smile to myself and type ‘Thanks (:' then send it. 

Saturday night when Owen came up to talk we had to have talked for forty-five minutes or so because by the time Nichole and Connor came in to shore it was nearly nightfall. Owen and I had talked about New York and even North Carolina. He told me about his past year in high school and said he wanted to go to Massachusetts College of Art and Design because he has an eye for art. I told him that I had been accepted into Berklee College of music for performance but hadn't decided whether or not I was going to go yet. He told me he has a younger sister named Brooke, and I told him about Nick.  I learned that Owen is kind of a flirt though, but we're friends. 

Walking up the stairs to the kitchen I see my parents sitting and drinking coffee at the kitchen table. Nick is at the table also, but he's on his iphone probably tweeting about something stupid. I have a Facebook but I hate Twitter. I'm rarely on the Internet anyways. 

When my mom sees me slowly making my way up the stairs she grins and pulls out the seat next to her motioning for me to sit there. I come over and sit. 

"Do you want coffee?" My mother asks.

"No, can I have the car today?" I say not really wanting to be here much longer. 

"Actually your father, your brother and I are going to the Cape Hatteras lighthouse, and we wanted to go as a family so today your going to be going with us," my mom replies. 

"I can't." I say getting up and going to the kitchen for an apple. 

"Sarah, you're are going to go. I don't care what excuse you have," my mother starts to get up so we are eye level.

"No, mom I'm not going for two reasons, one is because it's my first day of work. Two is because I don't want to go," avoiding eye contact.

"Oh I almost forgot that you got a job."

"Yeah," I roll my eyes, "so can I have the car?"

"No, because your brother, father, and I are still going to the lighthouse!" she explains, "You'll just have to find a ride with one of your new friends."