Chapter Two: Job Searching*

My thoughts of a summer job are startled when Nick comes up behind me. He's in his dark blue swim trunks and has his surfboard tucked under his left arm. Nick loves to surf. Before we lived in upstate New York, we lived in Georgia. Our house wasn’t very far from the beach, so he took surfing lessons while I took piano lessons.

"I've been looking everywhere for you," he says taking a seat next to me. 

"Well you've found me. What do you want?" I snap because I'm really not in the mood to talk to him.

"You know just because you’re mad at Mom and Dad for dragging you down here doesn’t mean you have to take your anger out on me.”

"I’m sorry, I just don’t understand why I couldn’t have stayed with Ivy for the summer.” I say and drop my head to the floor.

“Mom and Dad are big on family time this summer since you’re going off to college and growing up after this summer. They want a few more months just to be a whole family.” He said in an understanding tone of voice.

I sat and listened to the sound of the waves crashing in on each other and waves crashing on the shore. Nick had a point, but that wasn’t the only reason Mom and Dad booked this trip. Ever since I started my freshman year of high school, and Nick was in his senior year Mom and Dad had been on the rocks. Over the years it’s just become more fighting or complete silence for weeks. Nick and I both know very well that this trip was booked half because they are attempting to have a better relationship. Which explains why Mom wants to have family dinners at least five times a week. I don’t need to prove Nick wrong though because I know he has a point so I just sigh and nod my head.

“Hey, you never know maybe you’ll make some new friends this summer,” he comments trying to cheer me up, but it doesn’t.

“Yeah, maybe,” I mumble and pull my head up from looking at the small wooden hole in the floor of the pier to looking at the crashing waves. “So why were you looking for me Nick?” I ask and look over at him.

"Well mom wanted you to help unpack the bags and boxes, but she couldn't find you, so I volunteered to go find you," he says staring off at the ocean, "but I guess you don't really wanna go back huh?" 

"Nope, not at all," I say in an all-serious voice. 

"Okay well I'm going to go surf before it gets too dark,” he gets up from the bench we are sitting on and starts to go back, but suddenly turns back and looks at me. “Sarah, try to show up for dinner will you? It will make your summer a whole lot easier if you do.” Before I can give a reply, he walks away with his surfboard under his right arm. Three girls on the pier are in mid laugh when they see him. They suddenly stop laughing and stare at him as he leaves the pier.

My brother is always looking out for me. I hate disappointing him, but I really don’t want to go home, so I make the decision to stay and watch the sun set over the horizon.

*** 

            I wake up and the pier lights are on. It must be past 10 o’clock. I realize I fell asleep on the bench. I don’t understand how I did though because it is so uncomfortable. I suddenly realize I was woken up. There is a man standing over me with dark brown hair and dark eyes. I can’t tell what color they are because it’s too dark outside. He is wearing a three quarter length shirt and long cargo pants. He looks a little irritated.