Chapter Six: The Question(editing)

I buckle myself in once the door is shut. "Hey," Owen turns to me and smiles. 

"Hi," I say. He starts the car and heads down the road toward my house. Driving down the road we fall into silence. As the silence continues butterflies start forming in my stomach. I don't know why I don't even like Owen like that. 

"So, how was work?" He breaks the ice and my heart fluttered at his deep voice. Why was I acting like this? Owen and I were just friends.

"It was good," I reply. We go back into a comfortable silence until he pulls into the driveway to my summer house. My heart quickly sinks when I see my parent’s car is parked in front of us, which means I'll have to introduce Owen to them all. "Do you want to come in?" I ask. 

His eyes widened a little and I got to look into those beautiful blue eyes. He smirked a little and nodded. I got out of the car and started walk towards the front door, and check over my shoulder to make sure he's following me. He is; I pull out my key and fumble with it a little bit before I am able to get it into the slot and twist until I hear a clicking noise. By then Owen's standing next to me with his hands in his pockets and was laughing at my clumsiness. I slap his in the arm and giggle. We walk in and the air in the house surrounds us. I immediately cover my bare arms because the house is freezing. 

"Do you want my sweatshirt?" Owen asks looking over noticing the goose bumps rising on my arms. I look over at him and nod. He sheds his sweatshirt and hands it to me. I slide it over my head. I start to head upstairs but stop dead in my tracks at the very top when I hear my brother coming down the stairs above us. Before I have a chance to bolt to my room he notices me. 

"Hey Sarah, how was-" he stopped talking, and I knew why. He saw Owen. My brother jaw dropped. 

"Hi, I'm Owen," Owen said while my brother was still gawking at him. I rolled my eyes. 

"Nick, close your mouth and say hello," I said to him. 

"Hey, my name's Nick, Sarah's brother. How do you know my sister?" Nick asked Owen. 

"She came to my volleyball game with Nichole on Saturday and then we all went surfing. We were actually-" I shoot Owen a glare and elbow him in the gut. I don't need my brother knowing I'm about to go surfing with Owen on my own. 

My brother looked at me.  "Actually what?" He asks suspiciously. 

"None of you business," I say to my brother. 

Before my brother can come back with a response he's interrupted. "Sarah? Is that you I hear?" My mom calls down the stairs from the floor above us. 

I roll my eyes, "Yes mom it's me," I say in a monotone voice. 

"Please come upstairs your father and I would like to talk to you before you leave again," my mother replies. I sigh and scoot around my brother but before I can get past he stops me by grabbing my forearm.