Chapter Three: Meet Nichole (editing process)

• Dedicated to Lindsay Terry

When I got home my parents still we're not home and by then it was going on five o'clock. Today had been long; I spent the day searching for a job, and when I finally found a job I found a friend too. I believe it was very successful though. Having a job means being out of the house and away from my parents. Having a friend means more time away from mom and dad. 

Turning the corner to head up the stairs to my bedroom, I collide with my brother who seems to be rushing down the stairs. 

"Oh hey," he says surprised to see me, "I didn't hear you come in."

"Yeah, I just got home, where are you g-."

"Did you get a job?" He says; his eyes wondering while he asks. 

"Yeah I did; I'm going to be working at 'The Blue Ocean', so I start on Monday," I say trying to get his eye contact.

"Cool, awesome, great," he says and tries to get past, but I block his path, "Sarah come on I gotta go!"

"Where? Why are you so distracted?" 

"Because I'm supposed to meet up with my new friends and some hot chicks and the beach and play volleyball."

"Oh, well you could have told me," and then I put my back against the stairwell wall to let him pass, "Bye I'll see you-," and then the door shuts. 

***************

Later that night I find myself on the pier once again to watch the sunset and the ocean rumble beneath the dock. When I get home I try to make it home earlier then the night before. But it doesn't end up mattering because I still skipped dinner for the second night in a row because I bought food from the gift shop again with the five dollars I had left. So I got the same lecture that I got the night before except this time I didn't talk back. I stood there and waited until mom was done so that I could go to my room. 

The next day I wake up with the sun in my eyes. Dreading the fact that I forgot to pull the blinds over my sliding glass door. I get out of bed deciding I'm not going to be able to get back to bed. I take a shower and go up to eat some breakfast.

After wasting my morning away tanning on the beach in my black and white bathing suit, I decide to get some lunch from the kitchen before I head for the pier. The beach looks beautiful today the waves are sky blue, the sand sinks between my toes, and the beach stretches long and wide filled with people. The pier is about a half a mile away from my beach house so I amble along the beach until I reach it. When I get into the little gift shop area you have to go through to get to the pier; I realize I've never looked at the unique and different gifts there are in the shop. It's not like an ordinary shop. It’s got little hand made toys and necklaces. Things that you wouldn't see in your average gift shop. 

About five minutes after I arrive at the gift shop, I see Nichole walking toward me so I go to meet her. She isn't dressed in her waitress out she was wearing yesterday. She is wearing ripped jean shorts, a "walk in the love of God" tee-shirt, and has her hair in a braid instead of a tight pony tail.