Chapter Fifty Two

Chapter Fifty Two

“You have a letter from Petunia,” Lily said as she shut the door behind her and threw the small stack of post onto the table. “The rest just look like bills.”

May slit the envelope open and read it, her breakfast forgotten. “She’s fine,” she said eventually, when she reached the end. “She says Vernon thought the funeral was… nice. What are you going to do today?” she asked, changing the subject quickly.

“Cassie’s coming sometime today,” Lily said with a frown as she watched her mother. “And I finished packing last night so I suppose we’ll just move everything over this afternoon…”

“Oh I forgot that it was today,” May replied. “Are you sure you don’t want to stay another day?”

“I can’t Mum,” she said, “we need to go. I need to get ready for the course; it’s only next week and I have to sort all of my stuff out.” That very second they heard someone rap on the door and Lily ran to answer it, desperate to escape the cloud which hung over her mother. “Cassie,” she said, “how are you?”

“Good, good what about you?”

“I’m… alright. Summer hasn’t exactly been easy…”

“I know, I know,” she said, seizing Lily in a hug. “But let’s not think about that now; now is time for the future.”

“You’re so insensitive,” Lily moaned as she trailed after Cassie, “and actually so helpful to have around.”

Lily’s room was barely a room anymore; instead it was piled high with boxes full of various things. With one wave of her wand Cassie shrank all of the boxes and put them in an enormous bag that she had brought with her; Lily, generally used to the wonders of magic raised her hands in a silent prayer of thanks to whoever had gifted her with it. It had to be the easiest time anyone had moved house ever. “Cassie my friend, I often tell you otherwise but you are a genius.”

Cassie handed the bag to Lily with a smirk and chuckled. “You’re not going to like the next bit though.”

“Why not?”

“Well…” Cassie grinned and Lily’s stomach sank. Whatever it was, her friend only had that look on her face when she was about to tell Lily something that she knew the redhead would hate. And it was always something that she would enjoy watching Lily hate. “Your house is a Muggle house so it isn’t connected to the Floo Network,” she began, “and we probably shouldn’t Apparate because you might forget something from the boxes and leave half your stuff behind… So I brought an extra broom for you.”

“You didn’t!” Lily groaned. “We have to fly to London? You know I hate flying!”

“Exactly,” Cassie smirked. “I told you that you wouldn’t like it but it’s the only way.”

Lily dug one shoulder into Cassie’s side and pouted. “You’re the worst.”

“Hey I’m helping you move aren’t I? And I’m putting up with for the foreseeable future. I thought I’d finally gotten rid of you but no, I’m the one that has to sacrifice myself and live with you. Don’t know how Mary and Alice wriggled out of it,” she grumbled.

“We’re off Mum,” Lily said, sticking her head round the doorway of the kitchen and shooting her a smile.

“Stay there Lily,” she replied as she stood up and moved to embrace her. “Be good okay? Stay safe. I don’t like the idea of you two living in London all by yourselves.”

“Don’t worry May, we’ll be fine,” Cassie said. “Loads of people we know are moving to London and Sirius and James will constantly be hanging around. Mary and Alice are pretty nearby too.”