Chapter Forty Six

Chapter Forty Six

“I can’t believe we’re back here already,” Cassie groaned, nearly dunking her head in her cereal as she rested it on the table. “It feels like we never left.”

“Yeah,” Lily agreed blearily as she stuck her fork into the butter and started spreading it on her toast while her friends watched her wordlessly.

“How long do you think it will take for her to notice?” Mary whispered right as Lily stopped and looked at it in confusion. “Oh kill me now please,” she mumbled as she looked for a knife.

Lily stumbled through her lessons, still not entirely awake after an enormous cup of coffee; she only became a properly functioning person when she found herself spreadeagled across one of the sofas that evening, half reading and half listening to the conversation taking place around her.

“I’m so glad we got to break your motorcycle in,” James was saying to Sirius as they ate, throwing the wrappers into the blazing fire every so often.

“What a way to do it too,” he grinned roguishly.

“Merlin I wish I could have seen the look on their faces once they came round! It would have been hilarious.”

“Outrunning Death Eaters…” Sirius sighed happily, “Slightly scary but so satisfying.”

“What did you say Sirius?” Alice asked. “I thought I heard something about Death Eaters.”

Sirius and James glanced at each other before shrugging. “Yeah, you did,” Sirius laughed, leaning forward excitedly as everyone started to listen to their story. “Well basically we were testing my new motorcycle out, seeing how it flew and…”

“Mostly we were just having fun with it,” James interrupted with a grin, slapping Sirius on the shoulder.

“It was rather exciting,” he admitted, childlike in his excitement and completely unaware of the trouble he was heading into. “Anyway we were flying and somehow we ended up with three Death Eaters on our tail… Course we didn’t want to be made into mincemeat by You-Know-Who’s cronies-”

“We have got things to do with our lives after all,” James interrupted again, “and there’s no way I’m going to have done the work I have and not finish up with my N.E.W.T.s. What a waste of time that would be!” Sirius rolled his eyes and continued, “So we were driving pretty quickly, and who did we pick up but some Muggle policemen. Anyway they cornered us this alley and were trying to arrest us when the Death Eaters appeared. God the Muggles’ faces were priceless,” he laughed, whistling appreciatively.

“So we levitated the car and they slammed into it, then we jumped on Sirius’ bike and flew off,” James finished triumphantly as Peter fell over with laughter and Remus allowed a small smile to cross his face. Frank nodded once and chuckled while the girls, unimpressed, eyed them.

“Bit dangerous, don’t you think?” Mary asked as the two boys shrugged.

“Nah, course not!” Sirius said. “Well maybe a little,” James amended, “but you know…”

“No, we don’t know James,” Lily finally said. His head snapped towards hers instantly and his face fell; he paled and swallowed nervously, knitting his hands together in his lap as someone whispered, “Good luck Prongs.”

“You… think?” he replied.

“You could have died James!” she cried as the people around them began to shuffle away, muttering halfhearted inventions about forgotten work. Lily massaged her temple as she tried to calm herself down - the last thing she wanted was to make a scene in the middle of the common room, where everyone could hear them - and counted to ten. Only Cassie stayed where she was, grabbing Sirius by the wrist as he tried to wander away in case Lily’s ire was directed at him too, and she sent him the dirtiest look she could manage. “Where do you think you’re going?” she hissed.