Chapter Fifty Six

Chapter Fifty Six

Time passed quickly for Lily now as she began organising her wedding. The war put them under considerable pressure and she and James had decided that they ought to marry as quickly as possible. There were various reasons for this, but the one neither of them would admit to themselves was for fear that someone would die before they married. James was particularly worried about his best man, who seemed to have a tendency to end up in the middle of more fights than was strictly necessary. They had also decided to marry as simply as possible, which made Lily’s job only slightly easier.

“It’s not like it’s that important anyway to have a large ceremony anyway,” James had said. “I mean, you’ve barely got any friends to invite because everyone hates you so we’re on - what, five people? - and although I have hundreds I am perfectly happy to stick to my five closest friends so that you don’t feel hard done by. We will have to factor in an extra person when we invite Vernon though because I don’t think that he will be able to fit into one seat.” Lily’s laughter, which had been threatening to escape since the beginning of this speech, exploded out of her in a snort and she giggled mercilessly. “And then our families… that’s about it. And I, for one, am not inviting any extended family because they’re a nightmare.”

“Hey wait hang on a second Prongs!” Sirius called from where he was sitting by the fire. “I heard that and I would like to remind you that I happen to be a member of said extended family and, as a member of said extended family, I am mightily offended.”

“Thank you for your input into the James and Lily wedding plans Padfoot,” James replied. “Here is your answer: firstly, good, please continue to be offended because you’re not invited, and secondly, shut your ugly face because you know that you’re a nightmare. Oh and thirdly, as someone who fully recognises the nightmarish qualities of your family which, by the well-established rules of family trees, also falls under the category of my extended family, you have no basis to complain.” Sirius subsided into a sulky silence and glared at James for ten minutes before he came up with a suitable punishment which was to create a draught that constantly tickled the back of James’ neck.

Through her laughter Lily managed to ask, “Which five of your closest friends are invited then, since I was under the impression that the only people you deemed worth speaking to were the Marauders?”

“Um and you,” he scoffed. “I can’t believe you’re asking me who my friends are; you’re marrying me, you’re supposed to know! It’s pretty obvious anyway: Moony, Wormtail, Frank, George and McGonagall.”

“McGonagall!” Lily exclaimed. “Now you’re just being ridiculous.”

“And I wasn’t before? Crikey your tolerance for this has soared. But actually, and I’m being serious now, McGonagall and I bonded over Quidditch and Transfiguration during our many wonderful detention dates together and if you don’t let me invite her to our wedding… well I might have to call it off. She’s my favourite.”

“Your favourite what?”

“Favourite ever.”

“Well maybe you should just marry her instead.”

“Um I already tried that Lily,” he replied. “You weren’t my first choice you know. If I could spend the rest of my life with Minerva I most certainly would.”

“Well I’m glad I found out how you feel before we got married.”

“Okay but can you actually invite her because I would pay good money to see her face when she opened the letter and also to see her if she turned up at your wedding because it would be amazing,” Sirius said, still following their conversation from the other side of the room.