Chapter Thirty Three

Dorea Potter watched James and Sirius whizzing through the garden, weaving between trees and constantly shouting to each other as they threw an old Quaffle between them; suddenly Sirius was hit on the head by one of the many apples that they had bewitched to follow them around and she watched as he rolled over his broom to avoid it hitting him again, still flying towards James as he hung underneath his broom. She shook her head at their antics and was about to turn away when an enormous owl tapped on the window; it sidled in sideways when Dorea let it in and proffered its leg. Two Hogwarts letters were attached, each addressed to one of the boys who were currently using her garden as a Quidditch pitch, and Dorea weighed up the likelihood of the boys coming in from their game to read them. She decided that they probably wouldn’t as she headed outside. “Boys!” she shouted, bringing them to a stop.

“Honestly Mum we didn’t touch any of your flowerbeds and if there was any damage it wasn’t us,” James said quickly, his words tumbling over themselves as Dorea rolled her eyes.

“That remains to be seen James Potter,” she replied as the two boys leaned forward anxiously, “but that wasn’t what I came to say. Your Hogwarts letters are here.”

“Oh that’s way better!” Sirius cried as they sped towards her, hands outstretched. Dorea held them up, fighting the urge to duck as they hurtled towards her, and each boy grabbed one then wheeled around. “Oh I’ve got yours Prongs.” He chucked it to James, ignoring Dorea’s half-hearted protest, and they swapped letters. Both boys sat on their brooms, hovering a few feet off the ground as they contemplated opening them.

“Nah,” James finally decided, “it’s just Hogwarts letters and they’re never interesting. We’ll open them after lunch. Thanks for bringing them out Mum,” he smiled as they handed them back to her and rocketed away.

After a typically rowdy lunch Dorea produced the letters again and they both grabbed one. James eyed his warily; he might be mistaken but he could swear that it was heavier than usual. “Is it just me or is this weirdly heavy?” he asked, handing his to Sirius, who held one in each hand and moved them up and down like a pair of scales.

“Yes,” he answered definitively. “Dumbledore’s probably had to include a list of your detention times too… I’m surprised he didn’t manage to fill a book.”

James laughed and said, “If I fill a book then you must fill a library Padfoot.” Sirius shrugged and winked before handing James’ letter back and opening his own. “Nothing interesting,” he muttered coolly as he skimmed the list of things that he would need for next year.

The envelope which held James’ letter had a sheaf of papers inside it and James flicked through the idly. “Letter from McGonagall,” he said as he chucked it onto the table, “list of school supplies…” This too found itself on the table. “A letter from Dumbledore and a new Quidditch Captain badge… Actually I don’t think I need a new one, I’m sure it’s still pinned to my scarf. Oh well, nothing interesting then.” The parchment fluttered onto the pile as James pushed his chair back, ready to go and play more Quidditch.

“Hang on I don’t have a letter from Dumbledore,” Sirius said as he grabbed the topmost piece of parchment. “What’s all this about?” he asked as he began to read it.

“I don’t know, probably just something about some detention I missed or congratulating me on finally attending more classes than detentions,” James said nonchalantly. Sirius’ mouth dropped open and he let out a strangled noise which could have been either a laugh or a wail of despair.

“He’s congratulating you alright,” he finally managed to splutter, “but it’s not because you’ve stopped getting detention.”

“What is it for then?” He sat back in his chair and reached for his letter, which Sirius handed over. “Mate you won’t believe this…”