Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

True to her promise, Professor Banks, whose reasonably talented Defence Against the Dark Arts class did, in fact, finish the syllabus early, announced at the end of one her lessons, "Don't worry about bringing your books for the next couple of lessons class; we're going to have some practical periods."

As they left her classroom the students wondered what they would be doing in the next couple of lessons; it was only when someone remembered James and Sirius' pleas to study Patronus casting and Professor Banks' promise that they might do it at the end of the year – they hadn't succeeded in matching the terms which she had set at first, that they began to become really excited. Any practical lesson was a gift to the overworked and hassled students because it normally entailed homework of 'practising' – though unfortunately far too many students were caught out by this and performed worse in the practical parts of their exams – and also meant that they were able to spend the vast majority of the lesson, especially in more lenient teachers' classes, chatting with their friends and barely working at all. Professor Banks' class was cause for celebration, not only because it was rare for her to allow them to do this – nearly as rare as it was for McGonagall to tell her class not to worry about what they were currently learning because it wouldn't be on any test whatsoever – but also because those of them who were able to remember what Professor Banks had said when they had first started studying Patronuses also made sure that everyone else knew that she had said they were 'extremely difficult to produce' and that 'it was likely that many of them wouldn't succeed in producing one' which nigh on guaranteed them two lessons of bunking off. However, their excitement was added to by one other thing which was the anticipation of being allowed to try and produce a Patronus – no daring story was complete without the addition of one of the most mysterious pieces of magic known to man and they had heard the names of people who could produce corporeal Patronuses uttered with a strange kind of awe – it was strange of course, considering the fact that a decent amount of people were able to do it. Of course the thing which was rare was being able to cast a corporeal Patronus when still young and that was the glittering prize which many of them were after.

On the morning which heralded their first forays into the world of Patronus casting the sixth year Defence Against the Dark Arts class filed into their classroom and found all of the desks pushed back to the sides. "I presume," Professor Banks said as the last one of them entered and shut the door behind her, "that you've no doubt worked out what it is that we will be practising in our lesson today. Yes Jonathan?"

"It is Patronuses isn't it Professor?" the eager Ravenclaw asked.

"Yes, that it is. Now I assume, naively I think, that you can all remember how to cast one from our theory lessons all those months ago. If you can't I have written the instructions on the board." At this she span the blackboard around and revealed the neat diagrams which she had scribbled on it. "Off you go then, don't waste any time."

The Marauders, with their ridiculous combined intellect and penchant for spells, had taught themselves to cast Patronuses back when they had been learning the theory so the four of them sat around talking with James, Sirius and Remus coaching Peter at the same time. Professor Banks had, in a fit of leniency which was never to be repeated by her, sat down at her desk to mark a pile of practice papers that her seventh years had handed in and was engrossed in those, leaving her sixth year class to its antics.

Lily, Cassie, Mary and Alice were having more trouble with their Patronuses though. "I just can't seem to find a memory strong enough," Mary moaned as Alice cheered, seeing a wisp of silver smoke leave the tip of her wand.

The lesson passed slowly, with Lily wracking her brain for a memory which would work. The first one she had chosen – the knock on the door which had heralded her entrance into this world – had quickly become tainted when she remembered all of the fights with Petunia which had happened afterwards. Eventually she was able to conjure some pathetic wisps when she thought of the first time she had seen Hogwarts and the soaring feeling of anticipation which she had felt as she had seen her new home – that, at least, wasn't tainted for her and she smiled as she remembered seeing its outline silhouetted against the cliffs on which it stood and the dark night's sky.