What Doesn't Belong To You

Waking up alone actually felt... well, lonely. Rolland had expected both brothers to be snuggled up against him, Bryce's back touching his, and Dart's arms around his waist, yet they were both gone. The slight sensation of pressure against his back and waist told me that they had at least left recently. That brought a small smile to his face as he pushed himself up and yawned.

"Mmm."

Dyce had his head on Rolland's bed, eyes going full-on puppy.

"Oh man, I'm sorry I forgot to take you out last night."

Glancing around the room, he sighed with relief when there was no indication he'd gone on the floor.

"You are the best dog ever. Let's go for a walk."

Dyce made a barking motion, and Rolland grinned as he hopped out of bed and quickly changed clothes, then put Dyce's leash on. Normally he took the service jacket off at night, but again, he had totally blanked when he had gotten home from the bowling alley with Dartanian and Bryce. He flushed at the memory of falling asleep, his neck was even tingling a little still.

Shaking his head, he slipped on his shoes and ran out the door. Dyce had gained a few pounds, and well, Rolland didn't mind the exercise, so they ran for a good mile before he had to drag Dyce back toward the dorms. A few people had checked out the dog's jacket, then Rolland, probably wondering what was wrong, but he was pretty good at ignoring that stuff now. In fact, he just smiled and waved as they jogged or walked by.

Once they were back in the building, Dyce regained a bit of composure, mostly because of the air-conditioning. Thankfully there was an elevator, because even with the temperature decrease, Rolland still didn't think Dyce would make it more than a step or two up the stairs. When they got back to his room, he was surprised, again, to see that the twins weren't there.

I guess I just got used to them again.

Well, since he had his day to himself until six, he decided to get everything unpacked and set up where it needed to be because living out of a suitcase just wasn't his style. Before he started taking things out, though, he ran to his suitcase and pulled out a roll of paper towels. They were mainly there in case Dyce had an accident, but he tore one off and wet it so he could wipe down any dust that had settled in the room after being vacated by the previous tenant. When that was done, he tossed the dirty paper towel on the floor and grinned when Dyce suddenly got a burst of energy and hopped up onto his stubby legs to retrieve it. Rolland knew eating it would be bad for him, which is why he was glad he never ate them. He just seriously loved to tear them up. And, since he didn't have a roommate yet, he didn't mind him making a small mess as he pawed at the paper, shredding it into smaller and smaller pieces. Yes, he should be using his mouth and such like a normal dog, but his dog was weird... and he wouldn't have him any other way.

By the time five rolled around, he'd fed Dyce a good helping of kibble, had just about everything out of his suitcase, and his room looked much more like a bedroom than before. He was actually kind of proud. Looking over at Dyce, he smirked at the huge pile of paper he'd managed to create with that one piece of paper towel.

"Looks like you've been busy just like your dad, huh?"

Dyce gave a barking gesture, and Rolland laughed as he took him outside real quick, then filled up his food bowl for dinner before heading out, calling over his shoulder as he shut the door, "Guard my room, boy. Don't let those evil brothers inside!"

With another chuckle, he locked the door and headed downstairs. He might have skipped once or twice before he slid into his car; his mood was just that good. He had job training tonight! Putting his car in reverse, he double checked that he had his white board and markers, and that he was wearing presentable clothing, then nodded and headed off to his first night of work.