Memories

****

A faint hint of light peeking in through the balcony doors brought Rolland out of his doze. He had been kind of awake for a bit, but being between the twins in a super comfy bed without any negatives was too good to end until it absolutely had to. Well, he really had to pee, so he supposed that was the had to.

He quickly slid out of the twins' bed and ran quietly to the bathroom at the far end of the hall. A content sigh slipped from his lips as he went, then washed his hands. Before he got back to Dart's room, though, he noticed the brothers' parents coming up the stairs, then stop between Dart's room and the bathroom. He definitely hadn't forgotten what had happened yesterday, and quite frankly, he didn't want to be anywhere near their parents at the moment. Thankfully, they only gave him a small smile and wave before leaning in and knocking on Dart's door to wake them both up.

"Boys, we've decided on what to do. We spoke with one of the elders on the phone about the situation, and he agreed it's for the best, and the only way to really keep Rolland alive."

Dartanian and Bryce came stumbling out of their room as their mother spoke. Both still looked half asleep, but when they saw Rolland, their eyes bugged out and they began to walk over, but were grabbed by their parents and turned around as their mother spoke again.

"We have to erase his memory, and yes, I know it's dangerous after you two have already done it multiple times and he's still sick. That's our only out, though, without killing him."

Dart sighed and turned, walking over before gently taking Rolland's hand and tugging him down the hall. When they stopped near his parents, Rolland hesitantly sidestepped, hiding behind Dart slightly. He then glanced over at Bryce, but his expression gave away nothing, as usual, so he changed his attention to their parents' right as their mom began to sign.

"Rolland, we've decided what to do, and I'm very glad to say that you won't be killed."

I suppose that's good, but then what does she have planned for me?

When he didn't reply, she continued.

"We're going to wipe your memory. We can't just do short-term considering we think it's best that we are erased from it entirely and it has been over a week since we met you. We'll try to be careful and you should still be able to communicate and possibly remember some schooling, but we definitely won't be there."

Rolland wasn't a fan of losing most of his memories, but if it saved his life, there wasn't really much of an argument to pose. So he took a deep breath and gave a small shrug. There was no fake smile, but he was sure they knew he appreciated getting to at least live. His gaze cut to the side, then down as Bryce walked in front of him and knelt, then signed.

"Who would you like to do it, Rolland? It requires that one of us bite you. Our parents are probably better at it, but I'm fairly good as well."

Rolland looked at Dartanian, but he frowned and shook his head before his attention returned to Bryce.

"He's only good at short term. It would be too risky to let him try this."

So his best chances were with their mother or father, but as he looked at them, he just couldn't find it in himself to let them close enough to bite him. Instead of walking over to them, Rolland waited for Bryce to stand back up, then wrapped his arms around his chest.

"We've got him. I'll make sure Bryce is careful," Dart said as Bryce wrapped his arms around Rolland for a reassuring hug before he let go and he and Dart led Rolland back into Dartanian's room. The door was shut. Rolland felt both brothers' gazes on him as he carefully climbed into the bed, then turned so that he sat with his legs hanging over the edge. They just stared at each other for several long moments before Bryce finally slowly stepped forward, climbing onto the bed and crawling over to lean against the headboard. Rolland watched until Bryce patted his leg, telling him that he was expected to go to him so that they could start, but he couldn't get his body to move. Doubt settled like a brick in his stomach, followed by worry and fear.

I don't want to forget.

The idea to run sparked into his mind again, but before he could even talk himself out of bothering, he was lifted into Dartanian's arms and carried around the side of the bed, then set down next to Bryce. His body began to shake as he felt the bed dip beside him as Dart got in. Rolland thought they would just hold him still and bite, but when Dartanian gently pulled him into his lap for a strong hug, Rolland melted against him, feeling tears he hadn't known were building run down his cheeks. He felt Dart's face nuzzle against his hair and sighed when his chest vibrated with speech.

"I'm sorry, Rolland. We're from two different worlds. You're really brave, though, definitely caught us off-guard. You were thrown to two lions, and you're still here." He laughed lightly and very gently undid Rolland's arms from around his neck, where he'd wrapped them when he'd pulled him into the hug.

Soon Rolland found himself in Bryce's lap, in another hug, though it wasn't as strong. He still felt his emotions through it, though, and thanked Bryce by returning the gesture. "Such an odd little human, to have tamed two killers." Rolland felt Bryce's chest rumble with words and smiled.

I bet they're making fun of me. It didn't matter, though. He was happy and he would be allowed to live. He would have to go back to the orphanage, but at least he might get adopted again. The thought that another family of vampires might take him had a quiet chuckle leaving his lips, but then he realized something and quickly leaned back so that he could sign.

"What about Luke?"

The brothers looked at each other in slight surprise. "We hadn't thought about that. He'll be going right back into that idiots reach," Bryce said to his brother, who hastily replied, looking frustrated.

"Yeah, and we can't just walk in there and try to kill him."

They both appeared to think for a moment before looking at Rolland. "We'll get him adopted, somehow... but he can't stay in this town." Bryce nodded as Dartanian began to sign.

"We will take care of him if he becomes an issue."

Rolland wanted to reply, but Dart pressed his fingers against his lips with a reassuring smile as Bryce leaned over and Rolland closed his mouth. He thought Bryce would bite right away, but he began to lap at his neck gently instead, making an odd tingling sensation start up. When he glanced at Dartanian for an explanation, he was already signing. "Numbing you. This takes a while, and he doesn't want it to hurt." That gave him a little relief at least. It hurting had been the least of his worries, but he was glad it wasn't going to either way.

When the entire right side of his neck was numb, Rolland rested his left cheek against Bryce's shoulder and sighed, closing his eyes. He felt the bite, though it wasn't really painful. He was much more focused on Bryce's strong arms wrapped around him, and Dartanian's fingers as he began to sift them through his hair. He felt his mind begin to cloud over as Bryce pulled him under. The last thing he remembered before falling asleep were the faint scents of almonds and rain.