Trying To Close The Door You Couldn't Open

"Dart!"

Riley tackled the guy who was sitting on his bed with a shout. He had just come home from a late study session and was beaming to see one of the boys there so early. Granted it was nearly seven o'clock, but still. The sun had gone down, and his parents were out to dinner so he didn't have to worry about them being seen. The boys had even told him their names the week before, four months after he had met them on the balcony. A few people from the local orphanage had also come by a while ago and now he was officially adopted by his parents, too.

He jumped into Dartanian's arms, loving the way he hugged him to his chest. Dart had flipped the TV on, which Riley's parents had bought him. It was hung on the wall across from his bed so he could watch it before he went to sleep if he wanted. Lord of the Rings was just starting, and Dart had already put the subtitles on. Bryce came walking in from the balcony right as Riley was getting comfortable in Dart's lap.

"Hi, Bryce," he chimed to him with a big grin. The more docile brother gave him a small smile before climbing into bed right next to them. He reached over, once comfortable, and gently pulled Riley out of Dart's lap and into his own. When Riley got situated, he noticed Bryce's hands in front of him, beginning to sign.

"We brought something for you, Riley."

Riley tilted his head back against his chest, a big smile on his face.

"Me?" he asked before Bryce rolled his eyes, then tapped his shoulder. When he looked, he pointed down. His gaze followed until they came across... "Oh my gosh. A dog!"

Riley flew out of his lap, scaring the crap—thankfully not literally—out of the fuzzy, chubby, brown and white basset hound mix when his bare feet thumped onto the carpeted floor right in front of its nose. The dog waddled toward the balcony to try to escape Riley's noise, but Riley easily caught up and tackled him in a big hug.

"You're so cute," he cooed as he tried lifting him but only managed to drag the dog a few inches before it flopped back down to the carpet, then rolled over promptly, giving him a belly that he didn't hesitate to rub. As his nails were busy, Riley looked up at Dart and Bryce.

"What's his name?"

The brothers looked at each other, then back to him with two identical shrugs.

"He doesn't have a name?"

They shook their heads, then Dart signed.

"You can name him if you'd like."

"Really?"

They both nodded, and Riley quickly looked down at the dog.

"I'll call you Dyce."

The dog rolled back over, passing out in seconds. That brought a smile to his face as he looked up at the brothers.

"I think he likes it."

Dartanian slid to the edge of the bed, putting his feet over the side.

"Rolland saved him a little while ago."

"He did?"

I had a feeling that they were referring to me, and that my old name might be Rolland, but the twins never gave me a straight-enough answer to solidify that thought.

Dart smiled and nodded, then slid out of bed to squat beside him.

"He's all yours if you want him, but Riley, we have to go for a little while. We're both in school and can't afford to miss much more."

His heart sank knowing that they wouldn't be in his bed each night. Dart seemed to pick up on his emotions because he quickly dropped to his knees and tugged Riley into a strong hug. As he wrapped his arms around his neck to snuggle in, he felt Bryce's hand gently begin to rub up and down his back, soothing him just enough to keep the tears from coming.

"I-I don't want you guys to go."

It was selfish of him to ask them to stay, especially if they had been skipping school, or at least some classes, just to stay with him. Dartanian slowly released him, and Riley sat back down, his lips trembling as Bryce reached over to wipe away a single tear and sign with his free hand. "Don't be sad, Riley. We'll be back, we promise."

Dartanian nodded, signing right after his brother. "We'll be back, but until then, please take care of Rolland and Dyce for us, okay?"

Giving a shaky nod, Riley lunged into Bryce's arms. He guessed he wasn't used to hugs, because he froze-up for a second before wrapping his arms around him like Dartanian had. The strong smell of rainwater washed over his senses, bringing on a whole new wave of sadness.

He got ahold of himself after about five minutes and hesitantly let Bryce go.

"I-I'll be waiting, s-so don't forget to come b-back for me."

Bryce grinned and mussed his hair before standing along with his brother. He walked out, but Dart signed one more thing before vanishing back into the night. "We won't ever forget you, Rolland."