35. Not careful enough

Hi guys! Here it is, another update. Right now I'm feeling a mixture of emotions...excited, terrified, sad. Why? Because this story is nearing its end. :( After this chapter I'm thinking there will only be two or three left. Wow what a journey. Anyway, no tears yet just enjoy what's coming. Happy reading!

****

The incriminating evidence is not here.

I’ve looked through everything a dozen times and I can’t find it anywhere. I searched Carly’s room from top to bottom, which is no easy task. I didn’t realise how much of a hoarder she was. I’ve pulled out drawers and removed everything. I’ve stripped her bed and even looked under the mattress. I’ve removed all items from every possible enclosed space—wardrobe, bedside cupboard, built-in robe. It’s nowhere to be found!

Granted, I have no idea what I’m looking for. Is it a diary? Pieces of paper? Pictures? Whatever it is, it really shouldn’t be that hard and I’ve been meticulous in my searches too. Even though I’ve been in a state of panic, I’ve managed to take it slow and check everything thoroughly.

My legs cramp as I stand up after god knows how many hours of sitting. I look around the room, which looks like a bomb has hit it, and my stomach drops. This is real. My sister knew about my identities and she’s told someone. Even though I don’t know for sure, I have a gut instinct. I just don’t know who. It’s not like Beatrice and Bronco or Clementine and Perseus ever knew.

My god I was so stupid! I thought it would be easy. Just waltz into her room, find the evidence then walk out and burn it. If only. Who on earth would she have given it to? Where could it be?

Running my hands through my hair, I begin pacing the floor back and forth. I continue to scan the mess around me in desperation. Even though I’ve looked through everything a dozen times, I can’t stop looking. It’s like the more I look at it the more likely it is I’ll find it.

Gradually realisation sets in and I stop pacing. My shoulders slump forward and I release a shaky breath. I can’t do anything. I just wish I knew who had it. How long have they had it? Why haven’t the police come looking for me yet?

So many questions yet I have no clue how to get the answers. Nausea settles in the pit of my stomach and I feel suddenly cold. Is that why she said sorry? She must have already handed over the information? The thought makes me tremble.

I was always so careful but obviously I wasn’t careful enough. Then again, how was I supposed to know my sister was going to go on a jealous rampage? How do I come to that conclusion, you ask? Well isn’t it obvious? Carly and I may not have ever had a close relationship but we tolerated each other until I found out she had feelings for Gregory. For all I know she may have started spying on me the moment I got married.

A shudder runs down the length of my spine. Then again what if it wasn’t her who spied on me? What if she hired a private investigator? Nothing surprises me anymore about Carly anymore. I saw a new side to her after she found out I had left Gregory.

I stop pacing and run my hands through my hair again, this time tugging at it roughly so it hurts. Nothing else is easing this bubbling anxiety and fear in the pit of my stomach. Pain is the only thing that takes my mind off it temporarily.

When my phone rings, I’m relieved for the distraction. Taking it out of my pocket I see Jamie’s name on the screen. My heart lurches unexpectedly at this and my stomach flutters in excitement.  This only lasts for a second before I’m rapidly reminded of my current dilemma.

I don’t bother with formalities. The moment I pick up I say, “Jamie, we have a problem. I’m at my mum’s place trying to find this evidence my sister supposedly had. I can’t find it anywhere! I don’t know where it is. What do we do? I’m really freaking out.  Has she told anyone? Has she given it to the police? Please you have to help me.”