carry you home.

a/n
5/5 aka tHE LAST PART PREPARE YOURSELF, i know i had to.

••

carry you home.

aspen.

i wasn't sure how long we sat on the ground, or how long we held each other, or how long we cried.
but i knew it was quite a long time, since the sun soon set, and lane carried me to his truck that i undeniably loved to bits.

i said quick goodbyes to conner and cathy jay, promising to visit real soon, (not too soon, according to lane,), and swearing to call and text all the time.

i left a message on my mom's voice machine, because she didn't answer.
we weren't fixed, but we were getting there.

lane had told me he was taking me home, and i had not one objection.

it was late, and the sun was traveling to other parts of the word, giving everyone their share of brightness and light. the signs of the highway whipped by us, and i felt a comfort in the soft, melodic sound of the wheels on the asphalt and the low tune of the song i didn't know the name to.

i had been staring at lane for the past hour and a half, and i knew he was aware of this fact, since he would smirk every so often, and squeeze my hand, to make sure i was still there. and even when he'd glance my way, i didn't look away.

his face was lit up by the delicate glow of the lights on the dashboard, and i couldn't think of any other place i'd rather be, and that thought alone told me i had finally done something right in my life, in the midst of all the wrongs.

"what are you staring at?" he murmured, the sides of his lips tugging up.

"you," i mumbled. "you're so beautiful."

"it's not fair you can gaze at me for hours, but i'm stuck staring at this lonely road wishing i was kissing you senseless, or holding you, or just soaking up your magnificence."

"i love you lane like the street."

"and i love you, my more than juliet."

"just aspen will do just fine."

"i love you my aspen."

"and i you, my lane."

and as i stared at lane's profile, the darkness outside faded, and the trees and cars and everything else we passed by, meshed into nothing at all.

and in that moment, holding onto lane's spare hand with both of mine, i knew, someday, we'd be okay.

because, as opposed to popular belief, or high hopes or high expectations; this, right now, did not mean we were okay.

we were far from okay.

but maybe, if we take the time to take a better look at things. if we learn to realize all the things we had skipped over. if we could learn from mistakes, and learn to let go. if we matured more.

maybe, if we do all that, and can still stand to kiss each other, and look at each other without hatred or regret or guilt.

than maybe, just maybe, we'd be okay.

••

a/n

wow. guys. i'm so emotional oh my god.

SO MY EXCUSE FOR NOT POSTING IS THat i'm just really emotional about this ending and that i won't be posting for this anymore (besides q & a and fun facts n stuff)

so this is the ending.

i tried to make it as open ended as possible, because that's what it's like in my mind.. open ended.

now you can decide for your self!

if you want them to stay together and get married and have a million laspen babies, or if you want them to just be friends, or be that annoying couple that breaks up every other week, or if you want them to hate each other.. IT'S UP TO YOUR WILDEST IMAGINATION!!

i know what i think happens, and the rest is up to you!

because even though this is the end of the written portion of aspen and lane's story, they will forever live in our heads, and hearts.

i'll be posting the q & a, (any unanswered question should be asked NOW) also some small 'fun' facts, and a thank you note and maybe options for the story i'm doing next?? SO YEAH FUN STUFF!

ALSO please go check out Indie's chapter that i posted tonight on equallyopposite!

PRETTY please vote and comment what you thought of the last chapter and the first chapter and aLL THE CHAPTERS IN BETWEEN because wow this is the end guys guys any comments you can tell me now!!

thank you, i love you all so SO much!!!