[18- Coversations]

Jasper, Emmett, and I had just finished playing the video game when my phone rang.

"Edward," I answered.

"Hi Eleanor, are you doing anything right now?"

"No, I just smashed Jazz and Em in my game. What's up?" Emmett scoffed and attempted to elbow me in the side, which I swiftly dodged.

"I'm with Bella and she was wondering if you could come over."

"Why?" There was a brief pause on his side.

"She wants to explain in person."

"Sure, I'll come over straight away."

Reluctantly, I took Emmett's Jeep instead of the Lambo; it was too flamboyant to drive around Forks.

I parked on the curb next to the Volvo and knocked on the front door. Charlie opened it promptly.

"Hello Mr. Swan. We haven't met before. I'm Eleanor Whitlock," I said, holding my hand out. He shook it, flinching ever so slightly as he touched my cold hand.

"Right, one of Dr. Cullen's kids. Please, come in." It felt weird to be freely welcomed into the house after I spent a significant portion of last week protecting him from Victoria.

The end of a football game was playing on the TV in the living room. Perfect, this is how I would win him over.

"2014 Seahawks vs Raiders. Marshawn Lynch scored the first half touchdown and Russell Wilson had one of his worst passing games to date."

"Wow! How did you know that?" Charlie said with a smile.

"I'm good with games."

"Do you play?"

"I prefer to watch. And school takes up most of my time," I lied.

"Any plans for college?" He asked inquisitively.

"I'll got several offers but I'm going to defer for a year to travel." This one wasn't entirely a lie, Emmett and I were going to South America in May but we didn't bother applying to any schools. It wasn't like we were in a rush.

"Wow, good for you kid."

"Well, I don't want to keep Bella waiting. It was a pleasure meeting you, Mr. Swan."

"No, the pleasure was all mine. You're very welcome to come over and watch the game anytime. And call me Charlie." His eyes twinkled as the corners of his mouth turned up.

"Thank you. I'll be sure to take you up on that!" I smiled at him once more and followed Bella's scent upstairs to her room. Bella was lying on the bed, a bulky cast on her right leg. I could tell her breaths were shallow, probably the broken ribs. I thought the guilt had faded but I felt unimaginable responsibility for her condition. That was on me and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.

Edward stood up when I entered.

"I'll give you two some privacy. Call me later," he whispered before gently kissing Bella's forehead and leaping out the window. I took his seat facing her bed.