[04- Car Crash]

I was vividly remember the exact moment Tyler Crowley's van skidded across a patch of ice and hurdled towards Bella.

It all began we arrived at school on Tuesday; Alice and I stayed with Edward near the car but Emmett and Jasper went straight to class. They were bored with Edward's fixation with the girl—it was incomprehensible to them how any human with an almost irresistible scent could hold his interest for so long. I felt some strange connection with Bella, which probably stemmed from our similar experiences starting a new school. I could sympathise with her more than any other student.

"NO!" Alice gasped aloud. In a split second, my eyes were locked on Bella's horror- struck eyes, as the van tumbled towards her.

I watched in perfect clarity as Edward launched himself across the lot, throwing his body between the skidding van and the frozen girl. She didn't see him—no human eyes could have followed his flight—still staring at the hulking shape that was about to grind her body into the metal frame of her truck. I couldn't see what happened next, the van obscuring my line of sight.

Quickly, a crowd formed around the accident scene. Students peered and pushed through the cracks to see if any mangled bodies were visible. I had no doubt that Edward was fine, but I was worried for Bella. Was she hurt? What had she seen?

Emmett and Jasper heard the commotion and hastily rejoined us. I didn't need the ability to read minds to know Jasper was furious.

"What was he thinking? We have to do something," Jasper hissed.

"No, we need to go to class. Maintain appearances, stay inconspicuous," Alice said. Jasper scowled and swiftly made his way back to class.

The school was buzzing with nervous energy for the rest of the day.

From the general sound of people's conversations, they were surprised that Bella appeared to be unharmed. They all concluded—as there was no other possible conclusion—that they had just not noticed Edward standing her before the accident. Alice was right; everything would be ok. Jasper, on the other hand, was not convinced. In history, I could almost feel his growing animosity. His eyes were distant, as if he wasn't really in the room, but planning something instead. Honestly, I was terrified.

In English, I hacked into the hospital's surveillance system. I watched the moment the ER went from completely empty to a fury of activity; the doctors and nurses convening on Tyler as he had fresh wounds from the shattered windscreen. I paid extra attention to Bella who was treated by Carlisle. From their facial expressions and mannerisms, I could tell she was unharmed. Thank god.

Edward rejoined us in the cafeteria for lunch.

"Prepare yourself. Jazz is on a warpath," I yelled in my head, which allowed him to hear my thoughts. It was something that I had only recently learnt to do since he could only hear the emotion behind my thoughts rather than the words. It was like our own way to communicate. I knew he heard me when he rolled his eyes at my longing gaze.

Unusually, Emmett was quiet. I gently squeezed his hand that was resting on my thigh.

"Don't worry, I'll handle it," Emmett murmured. He gave me a brief smile before continuing to stare out the window. Like Jasper, he seemed like he was plotting something.

A million things ran through my mind, the most pressing relating to what Jasper had said earlier, "We have to do something." Could that mean... killing her? In their eyes it would be the only way to assure she won't say anything.

The thought of murdering her made me feel sick. In that moment, my position solidified; Bella couldn't die. It didn't matter that Emmett was my husband and Jasper, for all intents and purposes was my twin. My moral compass far outweighed my fear that she would tell someone what she saw. I knew it was backwards, I was a vampire, I shouldn't care about mundane issues. And maybe that's why it was easier for Jasper and Emmett to make up their minds. But Bella reminded me too much of myself and I wanted to protect her.